Anyone go from a tipi to a tarp?

Here's what I've found: If the weather is bad enough to require a full shelter, I don't want to be there. With proper planning and knowledge, a tarp/bivy is adequate for most situations. It's certainly not for everyone, but I don't see myself going back to a tipi over a tarp.

One huge advantage of the combo is you don't have to pitch the tarp every night. Just unroll the bivy, crawl in, sleep. If the weather looks dicey, pick the camp site and deploy the tarp. Another benefit is how much less ground a bivy tarp requires versus a full tent. It's so easy to find a clear, level spot for a bivy.

Last year, I went all season using a 1-pound bivy and 12-ounce poncho tarp. Sure, there were times I questioned it, but I was never uncomfortable and I learned a ton. While I can go lighter on the bivy, I'm OK with the weight, as it offers tremendous protection to both my inflatable sleeping pad and down quilt, which is far more important than saving ounces.

Even if it's not your forever solution, I encourage everyone to give it a try. You might love it and never go back to a full tent. Or, you may just learn a lot. Either way, you'll end up a better wilderness camper.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I think 'not far from home' is a great place to try new shelter ideas and everyone needs to keep in mind the fact that no one can decide what will work best for someone else...we all need to find our own path based on our own needs/wants.

Hoff

FNG
Personally I like having a quiver of options. I gave up searching for the “perfect shelter”. The shelter option I choose depends upon so many factors including, but not limited to: time of year, geography, hunting plan, weather forecast, what I’m hunting, mode of travel, pack animals (horses versus goats versus none).

So because of that, I have a ton of shelter options ranging from full canvas wall tent, to pyramids (big and small) to Hillebergs, to tarp and bivy, and I love them and use them all. Each one is “perfect” for the right set of circumstances.

I might be a little over the top but I think it’s pretty possible for a person to give themselves about three different shelter options and cover a nice variety of circumstances.

OP
B
Personally I like having a quiver of options. I gave up searching for the “perfect shelter”. The shelter option I choose depends upon so many factors including, but not limited to: time of year, geography, hunting plan, weather forecast, what I’m hunting, mode of travel, pack animals (horses versus goats versus none).

So because of that, I have a ton of shelter options ranging from full canvas wall tent, to pyramids (big and small) to Hillebergs, to tarp and bivy, and I love them and use them all. Each one is “perfect” for the right set of circumstances.

I might be a little over the top but I think it’s pretty possible for a person to give themselves about three different shelter options and cover a nice variety of circumstances.
I started this thread a while ago, and this is where I landed.

We’re gonna set up the wall tent next to the truck. Whether I grab the DST tarp or a tipi/stove is going to be a game time decision largely based on the forecast.

That said I’m really loving the new borah gear solo tarp I just bought. 9x5.8”, 12oz with cordage and stakes. It’s replaced the DST as far as being the shelter I always have on me. If the plan from the get go is tarp camping the DST is worth the weight, but it’s a bit heavy to lug around just for emergencies.

But like you said, I’ve landed on lots of different options for lots of different scenarios.

I quit using a tipi a few years ago when I stopped backpacking in for hunts. Now I just do day trips, but I still bring a tarp along and straps from Kammock, just in case.