Anyone carry bibs in the backcountry?

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
I think you maybe over layering and under insulating. I had a similar system and found that adding more layers didn’t solve my problem. I stopped trying to look at the hunting clothing market and started researching what people were using for cold weather expeditions. I found that people that spend real time in cold climates talk about the need to create a warm pocket of air around yourself, essentially using your body heat efficiently. This cannot be achieved with multiple layers that constrict the flow of air and heat. I used this concept and went out and bought an 850 weight down parka from a company that markets to guys who mountaineer places like Everest. In my testing I waited until we had 60 mph and zero degree day, which equates to -33F windchill rating, and went out with just a tshirt and the parka and did some light work with periods of rest. I was completely warm the whole time. I tried this again with layers of merino, fleece, and even my lighter FL cirrus jacket, all underneath the parka and I was noticeably colder. I believe that all the layers were preventing my body heat from exchanging heat efficiently with my insulation. With less layers, that are designed to be more breathable, underneath heavy down I found I could regulate heat better and also had a wider range of temps I could be comfortable at.
This is really interesting! So what cold weather system do you use now? Any reputable brands to start with?

OP
123efd2

123efd2

Lil-Rokslider
As for layering I think the trick as K1 says is to keep it simple but really insulate it up with good air layer. I use a subzero down jacket when it gets Uber cold. It only weighs like 1.5 pounds and you can sit for hours in brutally cold weather.

Legs:
Bibs or insulated EB guide pants.
Merino bottom (lightweight)
Gaiters if it turns messy.

Top:
Wicking t shirt - orange
Merino top (lightweight)
Midweight puffy - orange
Thick down jacket
Shell (marmot rain jacket) - orange

Head;
Balaklava
Poly watch hat
Goretex boonie hat

Take 2 pair of sock liners, ski gloves, light glove inserts, neck warmer.

That’s it for a week.
Appreciate the details! This sounds like a good system. Any brand recommendations to start with?

Eddie Bauer makes good stuff.
If you hit REI and start hitting the sales rack you can find good stuff in orange like Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear or Marmot.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Buy some custom down pants from Goosefeet Gear for glassing. You can make them as warm as you want. Sounds like you run very cold. Plenty of great down jackets on the market to help with that, layered over with a wind shell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Montbell makes some excellent down jackets and parkas. PhD Designs if you wanna drop some serious coin on down gear. Nunatak will eventually get back to making gear once they get their new place finished after their move. Down isn't cheap but if properly cared for will last a lifetime. Synthetics break down much quicker from being stuffed and unstuffed in packs. Synthetics lose loft at a much faster rate because of that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk