anyone actually REMOVE that hinge endcap successfully from their Leica Ultravids?

boom

WKR
all this chatter about binos on tripods.

i really really want a successful Couse hunt..so i am considering "retrofitting" my binos. i called Outdoorsman. they said to pry the end cap off. YIKES!! pry?!!

is it a done deal, once the cap is off? it wont go back on? i'm 90% sure the JimWhite one starts with a demo plan as well.

any tips? any pep talk? i cant believe every single pair of less expensive binos i have come with a factory threaded end. dumb!! i'd love to line up the Leica engineers for a stooge slap. hey mo!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
haha Boom that last line made me laugh. So let me ask you. Are we saying that end cap comes off and you can then thread in something there? I have a Pair of Monarch X's I had the same question to get em mounted on a tripod.

OP
B

boom

WKR
nobody in the hunting bino industry can put up some decent photos and instructions.

as far as i can tell: i have to take off the factory end cap. push on a new retrofit cap and tighten down a set screw on the side. the new retrofit cap has a threaded end..and it would/should be business as usual. i think.

Just pop it off. Can't be that big of a deal IMO. I piped it off in my EL's looking for threads when I first got them no harm done.

wapitibob

WKR
Some have threads, some don't. My Leicas did and the cap unscrewed. Outdoorsmans has a local shop doing their stuff and they'll drill/tap the hinge if yours do not have threads. The hinge is either aluminum or magnesium depending and the drill/tap is simple. Won't be a problem. There is evidently an aftermarket cap also that set screws in place, again not a big deal.
Screw the tripod adapter in and mount a quick disconnect to it and you're good to go. If you choose to work with Outdoorsmans, you could let them pop the cap....

Tilzbow

WKR
I popped the cap off my 10x Ultravids and put the a Outdoorsmans adapter on 4 to 5 years ago and never looked back. Just do it and throw the cap away! It will only hurt for a minute....

OP
B

boom

WKR
I popped the cap off my 10x Ultravids and put the a Outdoorsmans adapter on 4 to 5 years ago and never looked back. Just do it and throw the cap away! It will only hurt for a minute....

thanks. i have my channel locks taped up to soften the blow. mine spins and spins, so i know it is loose-ish.