Anybody using the Western Mountaineering Lynx GWS? Feedback?

repins05

WKR
Anyone using the Lynx GWS? Feedback?

Thought about dropping down to a Kodiak or the Antelope but all being the same pack size and only differing by a few ounces thinking I should just go with a Lynx.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What temps do you realistically see yourself using it in? I have a Kodiak, that thing is an oven. GWS shells don't breathe as well as the MF shells, don't pack as easy either. MF shell material has a HH rating as high or higher than most backpacking tents have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
R

repins05

WKR
What temps do you realistically see yourself using it in? I have a Kodiak, that thing is an oven. GWS shells don't breathe as well as the MF shells, don't pack as easy either. MF shell material has a HH rating as high or higher than most backpacking tents have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Probably no colder than 0-5F. But I like to err on the side of caution and go for a rating higher than I might need. For that one hunt where the temperatures goes extreme and unexpectedly low. I have supplement ways to stay warm with my bag but that's not the point. I am in western oregon where it is always wet so I always have a mind set of water proof etc. Going back and forth of the GWS shell. Sounds like the Kodiak works well. Have been looking at that bag.

dodido

FNG
I have a couple WM bags, MF and Extremelite. They pack nicely. I bring my Goretex bivvy bag when required - that gives me the best of both worlds (breathability on warmer/dry nights and wind/waterproofness of gore when required).

I would err on the side of warmth and pick the warmer bag - you’ll be happy you carried those extra ounces of down during that cold one!

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Thx. Had a few opportunities to buy some WM bags on sale but am going to hold out for the Lynx. Is the GWS really that hard to pack down? Or are we just talking another 30 seconds with a bit of force to get it in a stuff bag?

dodido

FNG
I don’t own the GWS, but I believe it’s a thicker fabric and does not compress as small as the MF. If you look at the WM website they show which size stuff sack comes with each sleeping bag - the GWS bags come with a larger stuff sack than their MF counterparts.