Anybody dealt with a bunion?

WoodBow

WKR
Had a hunt in January with a lot of hiking and my right foot was killing me on the inside of foot where big toe joins foot. Only had pain when I had my boots on. Barefoot I had no pain. I wear oboz mid bridges and have for almost 10 years. I have owned a lot of them with no issue. I thought maybe it was just time to replace them.

Got home and got to researching it and realized my problem was a bunion. I've never had pain there until that trip. Now any of my more rigid shoes put pressure there and cause discomfort. I wouldn't say I wear any kind of overly restrictive shoes. My big toe on that foot is not noticeably angled more laterally than my problem free foot.

Anybody dealt with this. You think the boots caused them problem and now it is just irritated and that I can resolve the issue by getting new boots and avoiding shoes that cause discomfort until it "heals"?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
I had a bunionette / Tailor's bunion on my little toe many years ago. It was quite painful. I came across this condition by wearing running shoes that were narrow and tight on my feet. The issue was compounded as I was running hills. It was a PITA for several months. First thing I did was buy appropriately sized running shoes, used padding around the area with a cutout for my little toe, started taking ibuprofen, and then stopped running hills. For me, it was the shoes, they were narrower than what I needed. Never had a bunionette since. Good luck!

I also had (and still have) the Taylor's bunions on both feet that were caused by wearing ski boots 5 or 6 days a week for many years when I worked at ski areas. I still have to get my ski boots punched out to widen them where the bone protrusion will rub the side of the boot on each foot. A few simple short term solutions are to get wider footwear so the side of your boot or shoe doesn't rub, or try gel toe spacers available at most drug stores. I've had success with the toe spacers in the past, and have hiked many miles over the course of several days with them. I hardly notice the bunions now but I am very careful about choosing footwear that isn't too narrow.

My understanding is the big toe bunion is caused by failure of connective tissue allowing the bone above the toe to migrate outward. Poor arch supports is usually the cause? I had pain so bad I could hardly work a full day so I finally went to a podiatrist. Got custom footbeds made which helped immensely, but am told it’s a stopgap, which will buy a few years before the surgery Is needed.

Last fall I did the Lathrop & Sons custom boot thing. Expensive but worth every penny. My feet felt the best they have in years despite 100+ miles of steep terrain hiking over 2 week period. I can’t recommend them highly enough. They are awesome.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, finally had to do something. Dr said it's hereditary, btw

Caused ligament issues, and I had an extra bone in my foot which made things worse.

Attachments

• 20220310_095356.jpg
    20220310_095356.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 31
OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Update on my part, my foot is pain free after 4 to 6 weeks of not wearing my boots, even when wearing shoes that were hurting me when it was all angry after my hunt. Time to buy new boots.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Many "wide" boots I cant even get my foot in.
Make sure you get plenty of toe room.
I ended up with Keen Targhee 3 Wides.
Amazing at the difference it makes.