Any wisdom for a first time miss?

Bigolbill

FNG
To start off, this is my first year seriously hunting. I have a couple friends who have been hunting for a long time who have helped me a lot and have definitely guided me into an ethical hunter. I sat today and watched a couple doe walk by as I have before, telling myself it’s the rut, why would I shoot a doe during the rut? I’ve had so many shots on so many different deer. Many young 6 points or forkies, several doe as well. I have yet to get a deer under my belt as I’ve been trying to hunt like those who have hunted since they were kids do. Pass on the does and young ones for now, maybe bag something a little more impressive.

I got that chance today, I sat for an evening sit, an hour and a half in my heart skipped a beat. I saw the flash of white tipped antlers. It was the first time I had laid eyes on a mature buck. As most people would love this opportunity, this is my first year hunting, and also first year using a compound bow. He was a clean shot, 10 yards. He didn’t even know I was there. Buck fever is real, the adrenaline dump is real. I don’t even remember aiming. I tried very hard but nothing was working, no shot sequence registered, no practice had prepared me for the real thing.

Luckily for him and myself, I missed. I say this because if the shot had landed it could’ve no way been ethical. I feel like I fell apart with the sight of a mature buck in front of me. This is the first deer I have even drawn my bow back for. This entire year I have passed up at least 6-8 shots on various deer because I’m trying to hunt how my friends do.

Do any more experienced hunters have any words of wisdom for a first time archer who missed his first deer? Any tips or tricks to try to settle the mind would be appreciated. I felt like a mess out there after today. Thanks all.

TSAMP

WKR
I think you know what to do. Unless your on someone else's property and they've instructed you to only shoot a mature buck (which would be cruel and unusual) you should sling an arrow at the first ethical opportunity. It's going to take time and experience. You can learn alot by reading and watching to get yourself in the right place.. but the only way to get good at shooting deer is by shooting deer.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not very experienced by any means... I've only been hunting for 4 years and I've harvested 3 deer. But, 2 years ago on opening day I had my first miss and it wasn't a clean miss either. I followed the blood trail for ~600 yards until I couldn't find it anymore. Came back the following day to try again, but still, couldn't get further. I hope the deer survived. The thought of that experience weighs on my mind each time I have a deer in my sights now.

I guess my words for your spirits are, "At least you missed".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not an archery hunter - By Spring bear of last year, I had killed 6 bucks in 7 years of hunting, with having shot at 6 bucks (5 over 250 yards.) During that spring bear hunt that took me 6 years to draw - On day 12 (I did like 4, 3 day trips) I ended up finally seeing a bear at ~800. Then snuck into 204 yards. Settled on a stump. He stopped broadside. And I missed him twice at a yardage that I have killed 5/6 animals over.

Maybe others will have different opinions here, but honestly - there's really nothing you can do but time. I can tell you I still think about that over a year later and still am a bit disappointed in it. But I also think about how that was my first time I had solo hunting trips, how I found a bear on my own having never hunted them before, how I successfully put a stalk on, how I called him in. Maybe the closest I have for a tip is that I had to remind myself - If missing that shot ruined that entire experience for me, then I don't want to hunt - I want to kill.

I can tell you that it made the bear I killed this year 1000000x sweeter. The trip also permanently changed my shooting form (for the better). I made a few gear upgrades, that have helped me kill more animals. Time, and when you finally get your first buck, will heal you.

Also, I'm not going to judge waiting for a mature buck. But it might be worth it to consider putting a tag on a lesser animal for your first opportunity, because once you put the pin on anything alive those shakes will come.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
it might be worth it to consider putting a tag on a lesser animal for your first opportunity, because once you put the pin on anything alive those shakes will come.

This.

As a new hunter I don't discriminate. I want to kill all deer equally. I've learned with each one I've gotten. Everything from getting better at field dressing to processing it myself. Shoot everything you can because you will gain experience from each. Then later you can be selective.

Also yes, the shakes happen to me regardless of the deer's age/gender.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Got into hunting late last year. Missed the rut because I was still building confidence for a 20 yard shot, like most, I did not want to wound an animal and not recover it. Got my first opportunity at taking a shot this year. It was a doe at about 15 yards. I had built up this moment so much that when it came time I was so excited/nervous I did not anchor or release properly and totally missed her. That has been the only shot opportunity I've had this season. But it was a good learning experience and I think it will help to calm me for my next shot.

I hunted for 4 years before I got to take my first deer. It was a doe. But by how excited I was, you would have thought it was a 200" buck. I agree with what people have said above. The only way to eliminate buck fever is to shoot deer. Whether that is a buck or doe it doesn't matter. If you can shoot any deer you want. When you feel comfortable and it is a good opportunity. Take a shot. When I shot my first deer(a doe) I was shaking horribly. Yesterday I just shot my 6th deer, a nice 8pt buck with my bow and had basically no buck fever and was very calm. Experience is the best thing when it comes to hunting.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same thing happen to me. Even with does, I would freak out and forget the peep site, or forget something. Fortunately for me, I missed those shots too. Now I gotta slow myself down, go through a sequence before I even put my finger on the release.

I think the key for keeping your cool is to keep focused on the basics. These are in no particular order but are what works for me after over 30 years of archery and rifle hunting.

Practice under pressure (practice making the one shot count - same gear/same weather/same fatigue level, any chance you have to practice in from of someone else, do it)

Range things when you first sit, just in case things happen fast. For archery, I just keep that in my head (20 yds to that bush, 30 yds to that rock). You can range again if you have time. For rifle hunting I write that stuff down in a book and draw a simple map.

Practice short shots, you just never know

When you see an animal, and he’s close and you know that’s the one, work to not focus on the rack.

Don’t forget your breathing and your shot fundamentals (I will talk to myself in my head as the animal (deer/elk,etc) is coming my way (ie don’t forget to breath, aim small, anchor, take your time, keep form good, draw when he hits xxxx spot, take the shot in this window,etc….)

Aim small. (Beat into my head by my marine dad)

Take your time and follow through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
My tip is go back out and shoot a deer? Everybody has missed it happens...wait till you wound a deer.

My tip for new archery hunters is develop the ability to be a killer. Punching targets is great and have all the new gear is great but being able to just get it done when it matters can really only be done one way...that is to kill a bunch of stuff with your bow. Does, small bucks, big bucks whatever.

Don't be picky and start killing deer. Plain and simple. People can tell you to develop a shot sequence and say a prayer and breath through your gills and all kinds of other things but when a deer steps out muscle memory should take control and thinking should be done. IMO that only happens from killing deer.

Can you not by an extra doe tag? Who cares how other people hunt?

Last edited:

BDRam16

WKR
Two things. 1. Shoot an animal before you start worrying about being selective. No matter what you do, you’re going to be nervous and having one under your belt and knowing what to expect goes a long way.

2. Especially as an archer....practice, practice, practice...not until you get it right, but until you can’t get it wrong. You said you don’t even remember the shot process. That is pretty normal. That means you have to rely on muscle memory that you probably haven’t developed yet as a new archer. Shoot your bow every single day. Concentrate on finding your anchor, settling in to the peep and pins, finding your trigger on your release. You should be able to do these things in your sleep with your eyes closed. If you can’t pull your bow back, find your anchor, settle in, and be relatively on target with your eyes closed...you need more practice time. Then, when the moment comes you’ve done it thousands and thousands of times and buck fever won’t get you. Good luck out there brother. Don’t give up. It happens to us all.

Keep On

FNG
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Don't rush, take a breath, same shot you've taken plenty of times in practice.
1st year out, I wouldn't be too selective. As stated above, take an animal and get some experience under your belt. They all eat great regardless of antler size.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
Shooting does will help. Putting a nose button on my string really helped me also. When you feel that little poke on the tip of your nose, something is going to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
My tip is go back out and shoot a deer? Everybody has missed it happens...wait till you wound a deer.

My tip for new archery hunters is develop the ability to be a killer. Punching targets is great and have all the new gear is great but being able to just get it done when it matters can really only be done one way...that is to kill a bunch of stuff with your bow. Does, small bucks, big bucks whatever.

Don't be picky and start killing deer. Plain and simple. People can tell you to develop a shot sequence and say a prayer and breath through your gills and all kinds of other things but when a deer steps out muscle memory should take control and thinking should be done. IMO that only happens from killing deer.

Can you not by an extra doe tag? Who cares how other people hunt?
I have 3 either sex tags, it’s just the culture with the people I hunt, that right now they’re typically just going after bucks. It’s rubbed off on me, but there’s no issue with me shooting a doe.

WCB

WKR
I have 3 either sex tags, it’s just the culture with the people I hunt, that right now they’re typically just going after bucks. It’s rubbed off on me, but there’s no issue with me shooting a doe.
Well wash that Sh!t off and get some kills under your belt...You (more than likely) are not going to kill 3 mature bucks anyways so why are you saving 2 other tags. Just kill a couple deer and want to hold one tag for that big one go for it.

I would put money on it that the guys you are hunting with have killed does and small bucks and that is where they started. whether they were really young and have been doing it a long time since then is irrelevant. I can't believe that they aren't telling you to kill the first thing that walks by. If they aren't they are doing you a huge disservice.

Once you determine a deer is a shooter, whether buck or doe, don't looks at it's head. Concentrate instead on your aiming point and the steps to a clean shot. You can fall apart after the shot.

As far as the miss, hate yourself for awhile, then, get over it and move on. If you're going to hunt, misses are going to be a part of it. Just pray that all your misses will be clean, and not crippling losses. Those tend to haunt you forever.