Any orthopedic Dr's on here?

Jacack

WKR
Wondering if there are any orthopedic Dr's on here.

Had my knee swell up a few weeks back to the point it was difficult to walk.

Got a xray that just showed normal wear and tear for 48 yrs old.

Swelling got worse. Went to orthopedic place and they drained 90ccs out and said to wait a bit and see what happens.

3 weeks have passed. Swelling is mostly gone but not 100 percent.

Got a mri yesterday and had follow up today. From what they say I have a minor miniscus tear and arthritis.

They said to hold off on surgery but maybe get a cortisone shot 2 weeks before elk season.

Looking to get another opinion but cant get in until Aug 16.

Was hoping someone on here might be able to read the mri report and see what they think.

Thanks
Jared

Tonopah

FNG
I agree with Fireman03. I am 74 and active. I developed pain, stiffness and loss of range of motion in my left knee over the course of a month. It did not go away. Stepping off a curb was an adventure. Getting in and out of my truck was tough. The MRI showed wear and tear that likely could be cleaned up with arthroscopic surgery. That was done (two puncture wounds in the knee. Insert scope (camera) in one and trimmers in the other. Surgery probably took much less than an hour (but I was out so I experienced nothing). A month later and my knee is fine. I agree that cortisone is no solution. The injection(s) are quite painful and improvement is not guaranteed. It really only knocks down inflammation and it does not fix the underlying problem inside the knee. You will just be back for arthroscopic surgery later anyway, most likely.

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
Thanks guys.

Had a meeting with s second Dr who is one of the top in my area and was former orthopedic guy for the Florida Panthers nhl team.

He agreed in part to the first guy but felt I should of got the surgery as soon as I could of rather than waiting until now.

That said he couldn't get me in for surgery until the 12th and was concerned that I wouldn't be ready to hunt by Sept.

We scheduled the surgery for after elk season and should be healed up before my first deer hunt. We did decide to do a cortisone shot to try to get the swelling under control and it seems to have worked for now. Knee feels much more normal without the stiffness and swelling I had. Only pain is the injection site is a bit sore.

He gave me some anti inflammation meds to take on the hunt incase and said to be as cautious as I can but explained with my type of tear i shouldn't do anymore damage by waiting.

Hopefully hid advice is correct and I can hunt without too much issue then get the surgery first week of Oct.

Jared

yfarm

WKR
Put you in a class 3 brace? If not consider, when that knee is weight loaded and rotate at the same time is when you will experience symptoms. Last thing you want in the mountains is a locked knee

OP
J

Jacack

WKR
Feel pretty good. Still some soreness if I push hard but the soreness is mild and more above the knee to the inside more now if that makes sense.

Guess I have calcium chondrocalcinosis
Never knew that or had any issues but apparently it's there.

Pictures of the tear

Attachments

• d8bf6695-c04c-4ee5-89ff-515c117c7a9f.jpg
    d8bf6695-c04c-4ee5-89ff-515c117c7a9f.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 196ea1eb-cfdd-4c9a-b453-b763e7b882eb.jpg
    196ea1eb-cfdd-4c9a-b453-b763e7b882eb.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you have got some mileage left on that! Good luck in your hunting endeavors!