Any Native American members here? Ever do the Southern Ute cow elk hunt?

PWCGray

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
NCrawford, congrats on the tag. You will have fun. I've done the hunt several times with friends and will be down there this year.

Incredibly nice of the Southern Utes to invite non-tribal members to that hunt. It is run by top notch staff, their biologist Aron is a great guy.

I would reiterate that you might want to get a chip for your GPS. The rez has a lot of funky borders and tricky spots with the private.

NCrawford

FNG
NCrawford, congrats on the tag. You will have fun. I've done the hunt several times with friends and will be down there this year.

Incredibly nice of the Southern Utes to invite non-tribal members to that hunt. It is run by top notch staff, their biologist Aron is a great guy.

I would reiterate that you might want to get a chip for your GPS. The rez has a lot of funky borders and tricky spots with the private.
Thank you! I am really excited for this hunt. I really appreciate your suggestions and help. Everyone that I have spoke to and have made contact with have be so pleasant. Fingers crossed I will have a successful harvest.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Any luck today NCrawford? None for us. Spotted about 30 today but all were just outside of the reservation boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCrawford

FNG
Any luck today NCrawford? None for us. Spotted about 30 today but all were just outside of the reservation boundaries.

Same here.. seen 30+ but wrong unit or private land. Good Luck today! We are camped at Lake Capote, my first time tent camping in 0° weather.. so far I'm not a freezie pop!

NCrawford

FNG
Same here.. seen 30+ but wrong unit or private land. Good Luck today! We are camped at Lake Capote, my first time tent camping in 0° weather.. so far I'm not a freezie pop! We are driving the white Ford with the big dog box. If you see us say Hi!

OP
B

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to you! No luck for us. Same as yesterday. Seen lots on private and natl forest. Hiked a few miles up Madrid canyon and went up the wrong peak. Once at the top the ridge across the canyon had about six bedded down. Would've been dark before we got there. Gonna head back in there tomorrow.

Where did you connect? And did you have snow shoes? We have some and it still sucks hiking in snow. And I think I seen you guys headed into the unit yesterday afternoon. I pulled over to let three trucks pass by and you were the third. Thought I saw California plates but wasn't sure. Couldn't miss the dog kennel though.

Glad to hear you got one. How did you like the hunt overall? Will you be putting in next year?

Last edited:

NCrawford

FNG
Congrats to you! No luck for us. Same as yesterday. Seen lots on private and natl forest. Hiked a few miles up Madrid canyon and went up the wrong peak. Once at the top the ridge across the canyon had about six bedded down. Would've been dark before we got there. Gonna head back in there tomorrow.

Where did you connect? And did you have snow shoes? We have some and it still sucks hiking in snow. And I think I seen you guys headed into the unit yesterday afternoon. I pulled over to let three trucks pass by and you were the third. Thought I saw California plates but wasn't sure. Couldn't miss the dog kennel though.

Glad to hear you got one. How did you like the hunt overall? Will you be putting in next year?

Thanks bbc26.. yeah we are kinda hard to miss. We were in the Juanita area. No snowshoes.. I went without them because I figured it would hinder me more than help. We hiked about 3 miles but ended shooting her only about 3/4 mile from the road. It was tough haul out, we brought her out whole and took us I think longer getting her into the truck then the hike out. Great experience and yes definitely will put in again for years to come.