Any information on possible listing of caribou on CITES Appendix 1?

I received an email from Jack Atcheson & Sons yesterday that references a CITES recommendation to add caribou to Appendix 1, which means they could not be imported from Canada to the US? I'm planning caribou hunts for 2022 and 2026 and am interested in more information regarding this recommendation and the process for review/listing.

Can anyone provide any information on the status of this recommendation?

*** Important Caribou Hunting Note ***
Anticipated Regulatory Changes​

CITES, the international regulatory authority for international shipment across international borders, has recommended all caribou and reindeer species be classified under “Appendix 1”. This change will mean caribou taken in Norway or Canada cannot be shipped to any other country. Likewise, caribou taken in Alaska will only be exportable to other USA destinations.

While this recommendation is not law yet, it is a strong signal that caribou hunters should go sooner than later. Consider going in 2022!​

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I'm thinking that's a pure marketing ploy...

Caribou numbers are generally good across their entire range. Certain subspecies may become locally threatened, but I'd hardly think that'd warrant a CITES listing as a whole.

Erict

WKR
The nineteenth regular meeting of the Conference of the Parties to CITES (CoP19) is scheduled to be held in Panama City, Panama, November 14-25, 2022. US Fish and Wildlife Service - extended recommendations provides detailed information on recommendations received from the public concerning proposed amendments to the CITES Appendices (species proposals) that the United States might submit for consideration at CoP19. There are three categories - likely, undecided, and not likely to recommend changes for species listed. Reindeer/caribou are listed as "undecided" for addition to Appendix 1" on page 27 of the document, quoted below. If it were me, I'd check once or twice a year for any factual updates. Good luck.

*Reindeer/caribou (Rangifer tarandus) -
Canada; Finland; Greenland; Mongolia; Norway; Russian Federation; United States; Extant & Introduced (resident): Falkland Islands (Malvinas); Iceland; South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

The species is native to the United States. The USFWS Law Enforcment Managment Information System Database (LEMIS) shows high trade and that trade is in bone, horn, leather, trophies and meat. Between 2013 and 2019 the U.S. exported 12,968 items plus an additional 29,362 kg meat. This trade was mostly in wild caught specimens for hunting trophies and for personal use with the majority of trade going to Canada, Namibia and China. IUCN classifies Reindeer as Vulnerable with decreasing populations. The Southern Mountain Caribou subspecies is considered Endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Insufficient information provided to demonstrate that the species meets the criteria for inclusion in Appendix I under Resolution Conf. 9.24 (Rev. CoP17). However, inclusion in Appendix II may be needed to ensure the high levels of trade are sustainable. We need biological, trade and management information to evaluate whether the species meets the criteria for inclusion in CITES Appendix II under Resolution Conf. 9.24 (Rev. CoP17)

The nineteenth regular meeting of the Conference of the Parties to CITES (CoP19) is scheduled to be held in Panama City, Panama, November 14-25, 2022. US Fish and Wildlife Service - extended recommendations provides detailed information on recommendations received from the public concerning proposed amendments to the CITES Appendices (species proposals) that the United States might submit for consideration at CoP19. There are three categories - likely, undecided, and not likely to recommend changes for species listed. Reindeer/caribou are listed as "undecided" for addition to Appendix 1" on page 27 of the document, quoted below. If it were me, I'd check once or twice a year for any factual updates. Good luck.

*Reindeer/caribou (Rangifer tarandus) -
Canada; Finland; Greenland; Mongolia; Norway; Russian Federation; United States; Extant & Introduced (resident): Falkland Islands (Malvinas); Iceland; South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

The species is native to the United States. The USFWS Law Enforcment Managment Information System Database (LEMIS) shows high trade and that trade is in bone, horn, leather, trophies and meat. Between 2013 and 2019 the U.S. exported 12,968 items plus an additional 29,362 kg meat. This trade was mostly in wild caught specimens for hunting trophies and for personal use with the majority of trade going to Canada, Namibia and China. IUCN classifies Reindeer as Vulnerable with decreasing populations. The Southern Mountain Caribou subspecies is considered Endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Insufficient information provided to demonstrate that the species meets the criteria for inclusion in Appendix I under Resolution Conf. 9.24 (Rev. CoP17). However, inclusion in Appendix II may be needed to ensure the high levels of trade are sustainable. We need biological, trade and management information to evaluate whether the species meets the criteria for inclusion in CITES Appendix II under Resolution Conf. 9.24 (Rev. CoP17)

As stated, marketing ploy -- gimmick .....

OP
duckcarver
@Erict - Thank you for the link. Very interesting to read the pre-decisional information and learn more about the process.

Thanks to all others for your responses. I have never used Jack Atcheson & Sons' services, but had a very favorable impression that lead me to assume there was more to it than a marketing ploy.

@Mykolaivka887 or others, I welcome any private messages regarding hunt broker/consultant services provided by JA&S.