Any backyard(maple sap) boilers out there.

2muchhp

WKR
If so how's your year. I'm at about 5 gallons and down to my last 20 out of 145gal in the pan. That should yield about another 2gal +

Attachments

• 20230326_074034.jpg
    20230326_074034.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 84

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
We are talking about maple syrup in case that isn't clear. Weak sugar season for me in my always small operation (~15 taps)--it is already over and a small yield ( about 2 gallons) compared to past few years.

NB7

WKR
We are talking about maple syrup in case that isn't clear. Weak sugar season for me in my always small operation (~15 taps)--it is already over and a small yield ( about 2 gallons) compared to past few years.
ooohhhhh. gotcha

OP
2muchhp

2muchhp

WKR
Lol, I never thought of the other options . Love me some crayfish, never boiled my own.
Ditto on the euro mount as well...

OP
2muchhp

2muchhp

WKR
A bit slow for me as well, about 40 taps here. Weather has just been so off. We just got about 12" of snow yesterday and now mid 40s for temps for the foreseeable future. Pulled the taps on Friday.

OP
2muchhp

2muchhp

WKR
We've been tapped since February 3rd, damn long season , just been so off and on.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Ok educate me, what weather conditions do you need for good sap flow. Like learning about things I have no idea about.

OP
2muchhp

2muchhp

WKR
Ok educate me, what weather conditions do you need for good sap flow. Like learning about things I have no idea about.
The short of it is below freezing at night and above during the day. The colder at night and warmer the day the better.

OP
2muchhp

2muchhp

WKR
The maple tree is a real gift from god.
I supose anyway...

OP
2muchhp

2muchhp

WKR
You want to read something interesting and amazing, Google Canada's reserve of maple syrup. Last I read it was around 100,000 barrels.
Yeah thats barrels

Fitzwho

WKR
That’s funny. After initial reading, I would have guessed you were back there distilling something other than maple syrup…

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
You never know what you might learn on Rokslide--if you have access to a few sugar maples, the cost on entry is low--you need taps, buckets or bags for the sap and a way to boil it down outside. You can do it simple and small scale (hotel pan on a wood fire/propane burner) or as big, complex or expensive as the Roth Sugarbush catalog/website's outer limits (vacuum-assisted tubing, reverse osmosis, etc.). I recommend it as a great late winter/early spring project. I'm in New York these days but I know it can be done further south at least to Virginia, maybe further.