Anticosti Island

iduckhunt

FNG
Been hunting Anticosti since 99 never seen or heard of a deer weighing that much exspecialy in last 15 years. We have been same camp since we started hunting the island. We have taken two bucks at the 200 pound mark. And now they seem to be 135-145 the normal. And the heard at chicotte is down no way near what it was. We hunt nov 15-20 prime rut do very very well.
Hopefully the new man in charge will continue to make adjustments to help the herd return. The stop of the winter hunt will definitely help. I wish everyone a great fall and many memories.
My deer was taken at Galiote in 2017 my guide said it was biggest deer he ever saw there and hanging next to the 12 pointer that was taken it had 50 lbs on that deer. I didn't see the scale I just went by what the guide said. My taxidermist knew instantly it was a canadian deer and he ordered the largest mold and still had to add fill. Of the 30 or so deer i.ve taken in anticosti its the only one I mounted because of its size. I hunted Vaureal 2005-15 Nov 12-17 Galiote 2016 - 19 late Nov. Now I'll be hunting McDonald early Nov which is the begining of the rut. I'd really like to get back to the 3rd week of November as it was always very productive, but for now I'm happy with what I have. It was tough getting a spot I liked after getting closed out due to covid border closures. I am wait listed for Bell next year, as I like that terrain and like to test my skill on longer distance shots which wasn't happening in Galiote with snow on the ground. Vaureal was nice that 3rd week of Nov and It did give me long distance opportunities at some of the lakes and in the bogs where I made some excellent long distance shots. I heard there were a lot of bucks seen at Chicotte already and I hope to get there one day but it would have to be a late hunt during the migration. For now I am anxious to see what McDonald has to offer, I suspect the terrain will be very much like Vaureal considering its proximity to Vaureal. Bonne Chasse. Bob T