Antelope behavior

Spoony

FNG
Just got done with the final weekend of my first DIY doe antelope hunt in the central Colorado plains. I put in the work, over 30 miles in 2.5 days, and only saw 3 lonely wondering bucks in 3 different locations. I did a ton of spotting with a 40x scope and still nothing to see even far. The unit is 99% private which pushes alot of people, and yahoos, into a tight area. I saw plenty of animals driving around so there is no doubt the pressure was pushing these animals out of reach of the public rifle hunter.

The question is why was I seeing these bucks in shooting range but I could not locate a doe for the life of me? One was big possibly B&C and I was surprised he didnt have any does with him. Are they leaving their does now and wondering the plains looking for a wintering area or do bucks often hang by themselves throughout the year? Do does go out on their own or do they stick in groups, generally speaking? Any good resources to learn more about these animals habits and behaviors?

I think I will have my tag for dinner tonight, I deserve it after that hunt.

Thanks!

JEck

WKR
Yep, after the main part of the rut is over, the bucks pretty much cruise for miles trying to find new does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I had a similar experience. Seen a couple small groups of does on opening day, shot 2 and then only seen 6 bucks after that.

Will not go back just to hunt does again. Going for that buck next year and think im done w antelopes. Let the other guys have 1 kind of thing.

It is a real fun hunt and great scenery.