Antelope Archery Tactics

wrgale

FNG
I have been archery hunting antelope this season for the first in true spot and stalk fashion. I have been trying to use the topography as much as possible. This is strictly for a doe. Right now seems to be be tough as the bucks are rutted up and have formed larger groups. Any thoughts on how to pull a doe away from the group.? Closest I have been is 80 yards.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Stalk,stalk and stalk never be afraid to try a stalk sometimes it pays off i thought no way I could get close to these 3 bucks but I got close enough

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
That sounds like me this past weekend. I had a doe tag and couldn't brake 80yd on the does. Was able to stalk/walk up to two bucks at 42yd and 28yd.

After some reflection on my doe antelope stalks, I should have waited longer to verify how many were in a herd, got busted by an antelope I did account for.

S.Clancy

WKR
You will fail ALOT, so get used to it. Just keep at it and eventually you will catch one in a good spot or find a really dumb one

stay after it, and get comfortable sending a broadhead at 80.

Also, they dont duck strings, they step out of the way. if you are sending one at 80 make sure they are not too switched on.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Stalk everything you see. Try to be in their zone as much as possible, sometimes just being around them crazy stuff happens. It also really helps if you are in an area before they are, like not driving up in a truck they spot and then getting out to stalk. Figure out their patterns and already be in the area when they get there, makes a world of difference in how switched on they are.

I have never shot a doe antelope. However I have shot 5 bucks all with a bow. I built a decoy out of plywood that folds up about 30 years ago and still use it. All of my shots have been 40 yards or less. I have also done the spot and stalk thing. I live near land that has sandhills and sage, this is where I work on stalking. I have missed a bunch of easy shots over the years but it is a blast. The big challenge to shooting a doe is they almost always stay in groups.

Kryos73

FNG
stay after it, and get comfortable sending a broadhead at 80.

Also, they dont duck strings, they step out of the way. if you are sending one at 80 make sure they are not too switched on.
Sure wish I had seen this comment a month ago! Got in 15 stalks over 2 days in SD. Had a decent buck take a step as my release let go. 84 yds and just over his back. Been replaying that nightly ever since. Fingers crossed I get another chance next year.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
If the antelope are on to you anything over 50 yards is a guess. They can jump the string so fast if they are locked in. If they aren't on to you then feel free sending it as far as you can ethically shoot

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I'll pile on but am no expert...killed two bucks in the last two years spot & stalk. We got good at making a fairly quick 'go/no-go' decision on any animal. A great buck in a very low-probability spot got a pass, and we moved on. Next! This season I drew back four times before releasing an arrow, missed that shot, drilled the next. You have to generate a lot of chances. My hunting buddy killed the fourth buck he shot at this season. Lots of long-range shots for sure, though we both killed at about 50. Don't waste half the day going after one low-probability animal - focus on the ones that are possible.

And for love's sake, look for single animals or very small groups. Large herds are beyond hard...ask me how I know.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Find a herd with a rutted buck chasing. Stalk in as close as you can where you’ll be hidden and have the wind in your favor. And wait…. He’s bound to run one by you.