Another spotting scope question

dclings

FNG
After scouring the wealth of information here I’m coming up short on exactly what I’m looking for. I’m debating between the Kowa 553 and the Swaro ATS 20-60x65 for use as a resident in the Yukon. Everyone seems to consider the Swaro as the gold standard but the Kowa weight is very appealing. What I’m trying to determine is if the extra 15x zoom is worth doubling the weight? What ranges are most guys glassing from, when using binos to spot game and using the spotter to verify legality? Is it just a matter of getting 200yds closer to judge a ram or 2 miles??

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The eye placement on the Kowa will be more critical than on the Swarovski. The power difference will be noticeable as is the weight difference. Please feel free to give a call to discuss it

After scouring the wealth of information here I’m coming up short on exactly what I’m looking for. I’m debating between the Kowa 553 and the Swaro ATS 20-60x65 for use as a resident in the Yukon. Everyone seems to consider the Swaro as the gold standard but the Kowa weight is very appealing. What I’m trying to determine is if the extra 15x zoom is worth doubling the weight? What ranges are most guys glassing from, when using binos to spot game and using the spotter to verify legality? Is it just a matter of getting 200yds closer to judge a ram or 2 miles??
Did you find the answer to your questions?
I'm curious as well - I had a big 80+ Spotter but when going into the back country solo I just can't get my base pack light enough. I sold off several key pieces and I have a Sheep Hunt this year here in Alaska so I'm kind of looking the same lines as you.
Id say 90% of folks say get the 20-60 because of how important it is but I know several guys who are killing sheep with a 12-40. I'm just curious myself what answers you found.

and @gr8fuldoug I just heard about you from a buddy who bought from you up here and he said you were a great resource. I plan to call you when I am closer so I don't waste too much of your time.

eric1115

WKR
I have limited experience with both, but it was side by side for a couple of evenings and the difference at last light (last 5-10 minutes of glassing light) was, to my eyes, more substantial than the difference in magnification. In good light, the little kowa is amazingly good period. In waning evening light it is still amazingly good for its size, but does give up some quality to the Swaro 65. It's been a while so I don't remember the numbers, but I do remember being surprised at how close they are in weight (Kowa is much more compact though) and thinking that making room in the pack for the Swaro seemed a very good trade off.

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
Did you find the answer to your questions?
I'm curious as well - I had a big 80+ Spotter but when going into the back country solo I just can't get my base pack light enough. I sold off several key pieces and I have a Sheep Hunt this year here in Alaska so I'm kind of looking the same lines as you.
Id say 90% of folks say get the 20-60 because of how important it is but I know several guys who are killing sheep with a 12-40. I'm just curious myself what answers you found.

and @gr8fuldoug I just heard about you from a buddy who bought from you up here and he said you were a great resource. I plan to call you when I am closer so I don't waste too much of your time.
I bought the Kowa 553 for Coues and back country hunts and love it. Maybe someday before I'm too old Ill get to hunt sheep, I cant draw a tag here to save my life. 31 points now.

As a guy who grew up in the Yukon ,I will say that how a scope performs in fading light is not as big a deal as it would be further South. There is plenty of light in August. As to the difference in the two scopes the OP is looking at I have no experience with either one. I am still reading everything I can find and using glass a tier lower. I can say that the Pentax PF 65 ED that I am messing with now is very good. I also have a Leupold 12x40 gold ring that is very good optically and light and easy to shove in a pack.

What is the current Yukon definition of a legal ram ? I remember full curl defined as having at least one horn tip pass through a line from the nostril to the center of the eye when viewed in profile.