Another build thread

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I am getting a new rifle started and have plans for it to be a switch barrel setup, one for general purpose shooting, hunting deer/antelope size game, possibly elk with the right load at the right range, and a second barrel in a larger caliber to be dedicated for elk and bigger. I have the first setup figured out, but need help deciding on the second barrel.

Build Specs:

Left Hand Origin Short Action
Triggertech Primary Trigger
McMillan Game Warden 2.0 with enhanced edge fill and carbon shell
Hawkins/Possibly Grayboe hunter DBM
Preferred Barrel Blanks 25 Creed
Maven RS.1 Scope

Second Barrel Options:

300 WSM
325 WSM
338 RCM
338 SS
350 Rem Mag

The logical choice would be the 300 WSM, would allow cross compatibility with my planned suppressor purchase, has factory loads/components available, and would be suited for pretty much everything I want to hunt. My one hang up is I am planning on doing a shorter barrel, probably no more than 20-22".

I want to choose 338 RCM as it was designed to be fired from a 20" barrel, but it has fallen pretty far to the wayside. There is only a handful of factory loads for it still, and as far as I can tell, only Hornady brass available. I do plan on loading for this rifle, as I have to anyway for the 25CM, so the lack of available factory loads isn't all that concerning, but if Hornady stops making brass I'd eventually be SOL.

350 Rem Mag would be interesting. Brass can be made from other readily available cartridges. I like the 35 cals, currently have a 35 remington already. Not sure how feeding would be out of AICS mags though.

338 SS just got thrown in the mix since its another 338 round, and has some support as far as components go, but the cost of brass is double what the 338 RCM costs.

Thoughts?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least the bolt is on the correct side.😉
I think you've already outlined why the 300 wsm would be a good 2nd choice and that would also be my choice for the same reasons you mention.

Randy

I have a 20in 300 WSM barrel for a TL3 coming my way. My reasoning was the 300 WSM even out of the shorter barrel will still provide reliable expansion at the ranges I expect to hunt. I'd say decide on which bullet you plan to be using and figure out what the minimum velocity (plus some cushion) is for reliable expansion with that particular bullet. Then you can play with a ballistic calculator to figure out the max range where you can expect that minimum velocity.

For me, things are a bit tougher since I shoot copper, so I need a bit more velocity to reliably expand. I don't expect to make any super far shots on game, and as I recall I would still get sufficient expansion out to 275m or so.

sram9102

WKR
Look into some of the velocities that guys on here have gotten with shorty 300 wsm and I don't think you will be held back by a 20' barrel in anyway. Probably picking up a 300 wsm for my next barrel for the switch barrel tikka.

OP
mlawrence125

mlawrence125

Lil-Rokslider
I think I am definitely leaning towards the 300wsm, for the reasons stated above. Would probably load 180-200gr bullets and call it a day.