Annual physical

Mosby

WKR
Getting an annual check up is critical for us older guys that hunt. I personally know of 3 guys that dropped over dead hunting within a year of retirement. It happens a lot. Lack of preparation, heavy equipment, over exertion coupled with unknown medical issues can be a bad deal.

I just had my annual check up and an arterial scan too. If you haven't had one done as part of your physical, I would recommend it.

I know a lot of guys our age talk about hunting more than they actually hunt. If they leave camp, they leave late, come back early and a lot of time they just stay in camp or hang out by the truck. Nothing wrong with that at all. I will be there someday....but it isn't today.

For us guys that still leave camp and get out of the truck to hike, climb and hunt......get an annual physical.

DWhite213

FNG
Being from the south east and starting to hunt more and more in the west. I went in for a physical and a stress test. Knocking on 40 with some family history I figured it wasn’t a bad thing to get checked for something I may have been dealing with and not know about. Also it had me a lot less worried about that type stuff while I was hunting.

Got a clean bill of health, but 10k feet still whipped me. Didn’t get sick or anything but I know my workout routine wasn’t even close to preparing me for the mountain.

My rule #1 now that I am 66 is to realize I am not 26, Still stomp the high ground but slower. Had an incident this past year in Wyoming hunting mule deer with a hunting partner who is younger than me, we were about 3 miles in, and he killed a mulie, there was about a foot of snow on the ground, seemed the rush was on for him, sat him down and told him the easy part was over and the work was about to begin, this isn't no marathon, we will go slow and easy with lots of breaks, I WANT TO LIVE AND ENJOY A NICE STEAK OUT OF THAT DEER. Not to mention come back next year. Stay active, know your limits and go by what your body tells you when it needs a break, yes, the annual physical is important but even doctors miss things.

I have reached doctor heaven. Physicals twice a year and quarterly cancer screenings for three more years. The rent was steep but care is excellant.

My son's best friend's father recently died. Eight days between the first symptom and last breath. Brain cancer. Don't be putting things off for a later date- it may not be your option.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I typically have an annual wellness exam. Insurance paid. First few years it seemed of little value, but when I turned ~55, discovered prostate cancer through the exam process. Caught it early. Now nearly 66 and retiring in 2 weeks. Have to negotiate what the Medicare/supplement will pay for, but I do want to continue with them.

I have already booked hunts for 2023 & 2024, so need to keep the health as best as I can. And I don't want to go just to stay in camp. I want to be able to experience the hunt, even it is getting out more days to hunt whitetails here in the Midwest. (And being retired I should be able to go mid-week when everyone else is working!)

49ereric

WKR
IUOE 49 provides a health dynamics physical free of charge Provided you maintain H&W hours or on the retirement pre Medicare plan like me.
we have been taking them for @10 years so far all good.
the HD physical does more tests than your regular doctor can do without cause.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Recently I lost my best friend from childhood, the closest thing to a brother I had. You don't realize how much that stings until it happens. A week before his 51st B-day and he has a massive cardiac event. So on my wife's insistence, I added a visit to a cardiologist to my annual physical regime. I'm glad I did, they didn't find anything wrong, said for my age, I'm in really good shape, just need to lose 10lbs. But yeah, keeping yourself in shape and keeping tabs on your own medical condition is important, you don't want to open Pandora's box in the backcountry and get a nasty surprise.

I will be 62 in October and can't remember when I last saw a doctor. I retired in January and will be planning a doc visit when I get back from my bow elk hunt mid Sept. I stay physically fit year round and have maintained the same bodyweight for years. Basically eat a carnivore diet and keep my alcohol consumption to only beer on occasion. I did do a stress test last night at a local 5k race. Ran it in 22:22 at a 7:13 mile pace!! !st place in the old man div. again!! Best I have ran in a few years. My issue with a doc visit is what if and would I be better off not knowing.

I'm 60 and have never stopped being active. Not worried about physical activity. Blood work and prostate exam, as well as colonoscopy, are probably far more important.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I would say finding out early is better, treatment success much higher. As for us older people I am 66, last month my younger brother died self inflicted alcoholic, this month my father died at 93 active until the first stroke, second one took a huge toll a few weeks and he passed. I conducted my father's funeral, the part that made it so hard was not knowing if he turned to Jesus before he died. I am no preacher just relating the most important question one can answer, who is Jesus? I am glad I found the answer.