Ammo "shortage" explaination

Shrek

WKR
Thats the terrible truth. We are our own worst enemy. I've tried not to buy anything during this madness but now I'm out of just about everything I shoot and the supply is still not available. I haven't been shooting in over three months and I only have enough powder to load 200 rounds of my 7mm wsm and 40 rounds for my 7mm-08. I have a friend who will let me hold some h4350 to get me through but I hate the thought of borrowing powder. I'm hoping Christmas will break these guys of spending all their money hording and things will catch up.

Hardstalk

WKR
I have several family members I've conversed with about this subject. They scour craigslist and gun stores looking to buy rounds for their ar's that they haven't shot in years. Im not sure why people are suddenly now scooping up everything they can buy when they havent used these weapons in a looong time. I tell them just wait. Things will come back around, they did last time Obama was elected. Prices jumped and people went nuts buying stuff. Why buy high? I wouldn't buy a house in the peak of the market. Nor will I buy more ammo than I really need to get by. Its a weird deal with the while subject right now.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
I was loading 22-250's the other day for a prairie dog hunt and ran out of IMR4895. I thought I had more, but didn't. Fortunately, I had some IMR4320 which is a pretty good substitute and switched to that until I can find more 4895. Pretty bad when you are worried about shooting 22's because of "replacement costs". We stopped at the Mitchell SD Cabela store on the way back and they had a suprising amount of loading supplies. No 22 ammo, but actually found some Barnes Varmintor bullets that I was looking for. I haven't bought anything other than at normal prices and within normal stocking levels.

Hardstalk

WKR
The funny thing is that loaded ammo goes bad. The necks are under tension and will harden and split when fired. Powder also goes bad over time . I hope all the horders stuff goes bad and they just loose it all. I wrote an analysis of the real political situation when this all started and it basically said just what happened. I predicted that it was unlikely the Senate would even vote on a bill much less pass one and that anything in the House was DOA. Nothing on the Federal level would change and it hasn't. I was flammed pretty good for that. If the House were to change hands in the next election then all bets are off but that is unlikely barring a Republican suicide . They would have to run a bunch of far right wackos who talk about justified rape and such to loose the House. In fact , I think the Republicans will take the Senate and add to their lead in the house on the strenght of the Obama care train wreck they engineered. When they killed the Public option and John Roberts tied himself in legal knots to keep the mandate to buy insurance while allowing states to opt out of expanding Medicaid they insured that implementation would be a disaster. By the time the midterms get here the publis will be fed up and blame the Democrats. They should blame the Democrats , they passed a bill that had been booby trapped by the Republicans .

Easy Dave! We all know getting into politics on the www is a recipe for disaster. I agree majority of the shortage is politically driven but well save that for archerytalk :)

Shrek

WKR
There , I deleted all the political post so nobody's blood pressure gets jacked. I can't delete the quote but if Harstalk would delete it there would be peace on Rokslide again. I wasn't trying to get anyone riled up.

HOT ROD

WKR
Daveinjax. I agree with U. It just makes me mad. Does any one no how many rounds home land security bought up????

Shrek

WKR
It's a bunch but it's over five years. They're not helping but they're not really the problem either. My real problem is that the DHS exists. IMO they need to do away with most all federal law enforcement agencies. The FBI sould be kept as an investigative agency and a coordinator of State and local agencies but have very limited arrest powers. I believe they should only be able to arrest state law enforcement officials who are outside the law and nobody else.

HOT ROD

WKR
And we declared war on the coal fired power plants again😡😡. My last words. People better wake up. Before its to late😔

Shrek

WKR
HOT ROD , don't get too worked up about the war on coal. All they did was make it impossible to build plants that were never going to be built in the first place. Small peak plants are steadily replacing the big coal plants and have been for a while now. It's cheap to build and operate a gas powered turbine generator with an exhaust heat capture boiler . They can spool up and be producing electricity in minutes and then shut down just as quickly when demand drops. Quicker and cheaper to build and much more efficient. Very cynical of the Obama administration to pass a bunch of meaningless regulations to appease the base that will effect nobody in the long run. Cheap natural gas is going to kill coal and nuke plants.

HOT ROD

WKR
Ya U are probably rite. But that not the point. Does any one remember what was said. When he was running for his second term. And we will loose good paying jobs over it. We cant afford to loose any jobs. Its all a mess any way U look at it. I don't blame any one for stock up on ammo....

Shrek

WKR
Coal mining will be fine as long as they don't kill the coal export ports. China and much of the rest of the world is becoming coal dependent so the export market is bright and the old coal fired plants here are being killed off by cheap gas. The good news is that there is a wave of manufacturing coming back to the USA due to cheap energy here. I believe that the jobs lost in coal will be more than made up for in manufacturing job gains and petroleum industry jobs. The politics and regulations are way behind the market.

Mtnboy

WKR
I think the author is spot on.

I have a family member who owns a sporting goods store and they have been selling ammo non-stop, mostly to folks who rarely shoot, but want it "just in case". Until those types get tired of spending $$ I think there will be a shortage of some form.

I will say though, I like the fact that A LOT of people are stocking up, I definitely think its a good thing!

gelton

WKR
If you hadn't started stocking up before now you are way behind anyway. Its refreshing if you ask me. My only problem is finding the powder I want and having to settle with a replacement with different burn rates and ballistics. I made the switch to a slower powder and lower velocities but am loving my accuracy. Sometimes change is good. I was looking forward to my local range being close to empty due to rising prices and shortages, but nope, it was the fullest I had ever seen it about two weeks ago.