amazing elk moves

the first shot i ever took on a bull was early morning, super quiet, was on a trail above the trail he was on,he was feeding towards me. ranged the tree he was to pass at 40. shot when he was there and the sucker heard the bowstring and ducked!of course have got chit from EVERYONE about my ducking elk! but just saw one on a BORN AND RAISED vidio that ducked an arrow also! anyone esle ever have a super nimble elk get out of the way of your arrow?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I rarely let them get close enough that bow sound is an issue. But with my 500gr arrows my bow is already pretty quiet anyway. I don't think I've ever had an elk respond to the sound of my bow.

bbrown

WKR
Unfortunately yes...
Early one morning my buddy and I spotted a herd at the head of a drainage - game on. As we were working our way up towards the herd I spotted a lone cow working up the creek bottom heading the same direction - actually we walked right past her when she was in some taller willows. I got in position at 37 yards and drew my bow while kneeling down using a bush as cover but as I stood up she caught my movement. After a stare down that seemed like hours (but was probably only a few seconds) she looked away and I released my arrow. I'll be damned if she didn't hit the dirt and I watched my arrow go over her back by an inch or 2. To add insult to injury she followed us up the drainage at 100+ yards alarm barking the whole way. My buddy got redemption later that day with a small raghorn out of the herd.

2rocky

WKR
I had a sleeping Tule Elk levitate 30 yards to the other side of a willow filled creek in half an eye blink. He was broken horned but I considered shooting him just because he was asleep in his bed. He had Rabbitbrush covering his vitals. That and his catlike moves saved his life. I was drawn but never released the arrow. I was just in awe.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yep. Keep the mouth call ready. You can usually stop them with a chirp. Maybe even get lucky and nock another arrow...

last year in Colorado i had a 5x5 at 47 yards and i was well hidden. the bull was in an open meadow broadside. he came to a weak bugle call. i lined up the shot and that sucker ducked my arrow. my guide was just amazed he has never seen a bulls chest touch the ground before.

we found out another bull was behind us and that had this 5x5 on alert. i was just sick my first chance at a bull and i blew it, but i still had a great time. i cant wait for Sept to roll around again.