AM, Mid-day or PM kills?

If you killed a bear in Colorado, did you kill it in the AM, Mid-day, or PM?

• AM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid-day

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • PM

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking to go bear hunting this fall in Colorado. Kind of a bear/trout fishing trip. Wondering if my best odds of seeing a bear are in the morning or the evening. While elk hunting, I have mostly seen bears in the morning, but I can't say I have actually targeted bears. So, I was wondering when you guys killed most of your bears in the state.

DaleW

WKR
Never killed one in Colorado but here in OR people tend to hunt for them in the evening.
But that's probably just an excuse to not get out of camp early 😂

ljalberta

WKR
I hunted bears hard for a few years getting up before sunrise and heading to bed after dark. I think we’ve got most in the evening or mid day.

Now I tend to take it a little easier in the morning when bear hunting. But it’s probably because I enjoy a more leisurely bear hunt than say grinding after sheep or elk.

This is in Alberta.

Always seems like the bears like a midday nap to sun themselves. Keep that in mind once their bellies are full from morning feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mid day for my bear this year. I glassed it bedded on a mule deer carcass. It was a target of opportunity though, I was deer and elk hunting 2nd rifle.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, Not CO but have hunted a pile of black bears, open country spot and stalk. This may or may not apply to your area.........

We don't even bother with first light. We always camp in a good glassing spot and just get up when we get up. Have breaky/coffee and glass from camp. If we see a bear(s) they usually are not going far.

Mid morning-mid afternoon are generally good and is when I have killed most of my bears. Like someone said above, bears will feed allot and like to nap allot (especially on warm sunny days) they can often be seen napping adjacent to good feed on a log or stump that has warmed in the sun. Shot several bears sunning, a few that I have glassed lying on their backs belly to the sun taking it in.

The absolute best time IMO to see the most activity is in the evening after it has rained during the day and stopped. They'll all be on the move feeding.

Last edited:
I hunt Colorado archery elk and bear opening week. Out of 7 bears 4were evening, 2 midday and the other I can’t place the time for some reason but I have never killed a bear in the morning. I see the most bear activity at waterholes midday when they go for a swim to cool off or in the evening when they become more active.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen more in the afternoon and evening.Our method of killing them is over a dead elk and we have done a few full day sits but now we just check it at around 3 o'clock a few days after we killed the elk.There's almost always a bear there when we get there or shortly after.