Alps Outdoors Elite 3800 Pack Review, By Torin Miller

Joe Schroeder

ALPS OutdoorZ
Rokslide Sponsor
image00015.jpegIMG_2477(2).jpg
Wish they would make another larger bag size, like a 5,000 ci or so.
Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Out in the Selway last year getting some testing in. Came off the mountain a little lighter in the pack, but a little heavier on the character type of hunt. Testing went well.

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Out in the Selway last year getting some testing in. Came off the mountain a little lighter in the pack, but a little heavier on the character type of hunt. Testing went well.
Hi Joe, welcome to Rokslide. Selway is next level backpacking. I prefer just to watch guys do it lol

Great to see these guys on here. Fellow MO hunter.
I picked up the Elite last fall at the warehouse sale. And now have both size bags. The conclusion by Justin is dead on. Value and good features. My training has loaded it up to 40 lbs and was surprised how it carried. First nice frame pack and the weight was very manageable.

BH2010

FNG
Great to see these guys on here. Fellow MO hunter.
I picked up the Elite last fall at the warehouse sale. And now have both size bags. The conclusion by Justin is dead on. Value and good features. My training has loaded it up to 40 lbs and was surprised how it carried. First nice frame pack and the weight was very manageable.
Have you taken it backpacking yet? I was so close to getting one, but decided to hold off for another year and wait for more reviews.

Joe Schroeder

ALPS OutdoorZ
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you taken it backpacking yet? I was so close to getting one, but decided to hold off for another year and wait for more reviews.

Give us a call anytime (573)459-2577, ask for Joe S. Be happy to talk through any questions you've got.

So far I really like it. Most of my time has been on 1-2 mile day hikes. Typically loaded with 20-30 lbs of salt. I did an observation sit with 65mm spotter in side pocket, tripod, Alps seat etc. Carried well. Halfway through I stopped and cinched down completely. That worked well also. And the load shelf/bag connection is dead simple.

tam9492

WKR
So far I really like it. Most of my time has been on 1-2 mile day hikes. Typically loaded with 20-30 lbs of salt. I did an observation sit with 65mm spotter in side pocket, tripod, Alps seat etc. Carried well. Halfway through I stopped and cinched down completely. That worked well also. And the load shelf/bag connection is dead simple.
The load shelf/bag connection is my favorite part!

BH2010

FNG
Do you think you could use it for maybe a 5 or 6 day trip? I'm guessing it would work if you used a dry or stuff sack on the load shelf with food and some gear.

Joe Schroeder

ALPS OutdoorZ
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you think you could use it for maybe a 5 or 6 day trip? I'm guessing it would work if you used a dry or stuff sack on the load shelf with food and some gear.

The renegade X dry bags work very well for me on the shelf just like you described. 6 days solo with the 3800 would honestly be a bit of a stretch for me personally, but folks definitely make it happen no problem.

BH2010

FNG
The renegade X dry bags work very well for me on the shelf just like you described. 6 days solo with the 3800 would honestly be a bit of a stretch for me personally, but folks definitely make it happen no problem.
Interesting. I am thinking I'll have to get one at the next warehouse sale. Should've nabbed one the other day when I had the chance I guess.