Alpine pond Buck

My first successful alpine velvet Sitka Blacktail.
Raining buckets on opening day. Reminiscing about opening of sitka blacktail this year on August 1, 2020 #tagpunch1.

My buddy Uriah and I were dead set on plans that we canceled the day before due to winds but the next morning we resurected the plan and set sail. We decided its just a wet day we have the gear lets just go. We could always fish of the boat if we decide its too bad we thought. We were skeptical at best when we pulled into the bay. we anchored up and took our inflatable raft to shore. We knew this time of year we needed to climb high to find bucks. We ascended a heavily timbered wet steep hillside. Like towering Cathedrals the sitka spruce evoked a sobering feeling. We felt small with a 1200ft trek into the alpine with only blueberry bushes to hold on to. We crossed 2 marginal trails with very little evidence that there were more than a small handfull of deer around. I knew i had a sheep hunt coming up whether successful or not we needed to push ourselves.. it was a training exercise. As we entered the shrub spruce littered meadows there was more deer sign but that was all. We glassed for a while and discussed the area and how we would make our way back to the valley below. Visibility was low so we slowly crossed the in the trees next to the meadows in hopes of finding a bedded buck or possibly jumping one. After a few hours we thought pretty far fetched to see a deer in these parts on such a wet day. They were bedded for sure we knew it. We were 2 more miles deep. On the 1 mile decsent to the valley below we ended up cliffed out 3 times and finaly found a marginal slope to the head of the valley. Taking a breather after slipping on our sore backsides in places it was time to head home empty handed. We walked through 2 beautiful meadows with a couple small ponds. The vegetation was kinda cool looking so we talked quietly about how you can make tea out of some plants and others for healing and survival. As Uriah was reaching down to check out some vegetation I looked over my shoulder catching movement. I could see ears and and antler facing our direction over a knob on the other side of the pond. "Deer! Uriah" i loudly wispered. The buck heard me as i knocked an arrow and drew back. We were busted any second this buck is going to take off. Uriah had his 270 and chambered a round. I heard him click off the safety. I was already at full draw with my Mathews Halon 6. Uriah said "shoot or i will 3,2..." in an instant i put my 20 yard pin high on his shoulder guessing 30 yards, released before Uriah finished the countdown. I watched the arrow send and POP! The feeling of relief on a rushed shot with a bow overwhelmed me. The buck kicked and took off for the creek bottom.
We were excited but the fear of loosing this deer was heavy on us as we were unsure of the tracking it would take in heavy rain. No blood surprise surprise. The rain instantly desolved any fragment of a blood trail. 1 hour later we still didnt have sight of the buck second guessing everything that transpired. I remembered what my Grandpa Roger told me about lethal shots and how any buck would react. "If you hit him good he will travel in a circle the path of least resistance". Remembering those words i went down hill and followed the creek to a waterfall and thought he was lost. I continued down and around the creek bed one last corner to check. 1 hour later my first full velvet blacktail appeard upside down next to the creek! "Uriah! I got him!" I yelled! We both high fived screamed with excitement. Our sore backsides and knees wore forgotten. Pure elation on opening day!
Its a rainy windy day here in Alaska holding me back from my sheep hunt another day. Reflecting on these moments in hard times gives us purpose and hope in turbulent times. It wasn't a major trophy to anyone but me.
I hope my story fuels your fire to go father and higher than ever before and dream of the journey whatever it may be.
Push it you just never know what's out there.

Attachments

• CC9EA827-6335-4BC5-82B3-5F77CECFB67C.jpeg
    CC9EA827-6335-4BC5-82B3-5F77CECFB67C.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 59
  • FD276C79-C4AB-4E70-A328-6B27DA32B4FE.jpeg
    FD276C79-C4AB-4E70-A328-6B27DA32B4FE.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 58

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome congrats. Looks beautiful there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk