Alpine Mule Deer Elevation Sickness

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, so I was really hoping to go on a CO mule deer hunt opening week in September. But I am hesitant to put in for the draw because I am a flatlander and I’m not sure if I can adjust to the high altitude in the short amount of time I have to hunt. Where I want to hunt will be around 10,000 ft of elevation. I live at sea level. Is it even realistic for me to expect to take two days to drive out there and be ready to hunt right off the bat? Or will I be almost certain to get elevation sickness?I will probably only have a few days to hunt, as I live around 24hrs away. I am very fit and run marathons, and I used to go snow skiing every year without issue. Not sure if that applies or not, but any advice/input is appreciated.

Loo.wii

WKR
There’s only one way to find out.
In all seriousness if you’re as fit as you say you’ll be better off than most.
As a soon to be Colorado transplant I’ve found that hydrating is what mitigates the feeling of altitude sickness.

I live at 700 feet. Two i have no issues at 9,000 feet. I noticed at 12,000 ft i get headaches over noght into the morning. Guessing from shallow breathing sleeping. But once i was awake and moving they went away and i was good to go. I prioritized hydrating for sure to

JD Jones

WKR
I found that past 12k I start to have more “issues” as well. I recommend giving yourself time to acclimate. One year at 13k on a vacation I came down with HAPE. What I recommend NOT doing is going straight up to elevation then running the mountain like you’re a local. That’s how I found myself coughing blood resulting in me driving in a blizzard to go get X-rays and and oxygen machine.

It affects everybody differently. I’ve spent some time at about 12 and been fine and my cousin beside me was having trouble and the two of us are very similar in height, weight, and fitness. Give yourself time to acclimate and hopefully you’ll be okay. Don’t push it.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I found that past 12k I start to have more “issues” as well. I recommend giving yourself time to acclimate. One year at 13k on a vacation I came down with HAPE. What I recommend NOT doing is going straight up to elevation then running the mountain like you’re a local. That’s how I found myself coughing blood resulting in me driving in a blizzard to go get X-rays and and oxygen machine.
Yikes! Yeah, that’s definitely concerning.

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
It affects everybody differently. I’ve spent some time at about 12 and been fine and my cousin beside me was having trouble and the two of us are very similar in height, weight, and fitness. Give yourself time to acclimate and hopefully you’ll be okay. Don’t push it.
By time, are we talking days or couple hours? Also, is there a certain amount of elevation that you should or should not climb in a day? I see all this stuff about ascending elevation online and I just can’t tell if its over-cautious or a legit concern.

JD Jones

WKR
Time is personal but for me if I can stay under 10k the first 48 hrs and exert myself at say 50-75% of my capability at my living elevation (700’)… it gets easier each day thereafter. It’s the 700 to 12k in <24
hs and my normal fitness expectations that got me. Also I limit alcohol big time leading into season ie I don’t really drink at all. Not sure about that science but I picked it up along the way and just abide

OP
jlw0142

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Time is personal but for me if I can stay under 10k the first 48 hrs and exert myself at say 50-75% of my capability at my living elevation (700’)… it gets easier each day thereafter. It’s the 700 to 12k in <24
hs and my normal fitness expectations that got me. Also I limit alcohol big time leading into season ie I don’t really drink at all. Not sure about that science but I picked it up along the way and just abide
Awesome, great to know. Thanks!

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Ask your doctor for a prescription for Diamox, my dad got altitude sickness in Gunnison. I had a mild case in Kyrgyzstan. I had the medicine with me, but I didn’t take it. I thought I was in good enough shape I wish I had just taken it, the Hunt would’ve been that much more enjoyable.

Altitude sickness has nothing to do with being in shape. Actually studies have shown that being in better shape actually puts you at higher risk (complicated reasons why but feel free to google it).

Basically the higher you go, and the less time spent acclimating the more likely you will get sick. Up to a certain altitude pretty much 100% of people will be sick. Some folks are more sensitive than others. Your body “acclimates” by adjusting the acid base balance in your blood while you sleep at night. So resting at a lake for a few hours is not acclimating.

A decent rule of thumb is above 8500 feet spent a night acclimating. And spend a night for every 1000 feet you plan to ascend and camp. Day hiking to higher altitude doesn’t really play a role:it’s the altitude you sleep at that matters most. I’d avoid camping on that 11500ft ridge And sleep lower if possible.

If you drive to the trailhead and hike up to above 10000 feet you will probably have some degree of altitude sickness. If it’s bad enough it can ruin your hunt; severe and your brain swells or you develop pulmonary edema and it becomes a rescue situation.

Diamoxx works well but it is a preventative medicine that you have to take before you start. Once you’re up there it’s too late.

Last edited:
By time, are we talking days or couple hours? Also, is there a certain amount of elevation that you should or should not climb in a day? I see all this stuff about ascending elevation online and I just can’t tell if its over-cautious or a legit concern.
There is very good data behind these recommendations. It’s a well studied physiologic process. The altitude where you are sleeping is what matters most.

I have come across people several times with altitude sickness at 8,000 feet elevation. You would likely benifit from taking several trips to close areas of elevation, getting hikes in as often as you can prior to your hunting trip.

My first experience at altitude was interesting. In Denver at 5k was fine. In town at 7ishk was fine. Where we hunted at some areas 9k+ I was very winded and felt not as mentally sharp. Was able to do the hills etc but needed extra break to catch my breath. After a couple days took the diamox and immediately felt a difference.

There are 2 ways to take it, prophylactic at 125mg and full treatment dose at 250mg. If your pharmacy fills it as 2 x 125’s you can decide to take it however you choose.

Do those pills make it so you can pull up and just go like you could at sea level or do you still need to take the precautions and try to gradually gain elevation?

If you're worried get the pills. You can also ask for steroids, if SHTF, and you can't get out of there, they will save your ars.

If you're worried, day one, pick a great glassing knob and spend the day glassing. Or 2 days if need be based on how you feel.

As others have said, if you take your time and plan accordingly you will be fine. If you have time constrains and need to hunt hard asap due to a short hunt that would be more problematic vs. if you have time to ease in to the hunt.

I had a patient that went to CO on a ski trip. Few days only. Hit the slopes asap b/c she was only there a few days. 11-12K. Developed AMS not encephalopathy.

Do those pills make it so you can pull up and just go like you could at sea level or do you still need to take the precautions and try to gradually gain elevation?

AMS prevention (directly from a well respected medical reference).

Ascend slowly — Ascending slowly is the best way to avoid AMS. Some experts recommend the following:

●If you live below 5000 feet (1500 m), avoid ascending rapidly. On the first night, avoid sleeping above 9000 feet (2750 m).

●If you plan to travel above 9800 feet (3000 m), do not increase your sleeping altitude more than 1600 feet (500 m) per day as you go higher. Plan a day of rest for every 3300 feet (1000 m) you ascend. On this rest day, do not over-exert yourself.

●Climb high and sleep low. Hike to a higher altitude during the day and return to a lower elevation to sleep at night. This will help you adjust to the altitude.

●If you plan to ski, hike, or climb, do not over-exert yourself during the first few days at altitude. Pacing yourself is very important. Minimize use of alcohol and sleeping pills, especially as you are adjusting to the altitude in the first two days.

●Staying or hiking at elevations above 4900 feet (1500 m) in the weeks before you ascend may allow you to ascend faster.

●If you drink caffeine (coffee, tea, soda) regularly, do not stop drinking it before or during your trip. Caffeine is safe at high altitudes, and stopping it suddenly can cause symptoms similar to AMS.

These suggestions are particularly important if you have had AMS or another high-altitude illness previously. (See "High-altitude illness: Physiology, risk factors, and general prevention".)

Consider taking a preventive medicine — Preventive treatment with a medicine may be recommended if you have had high-altitude illness previously or if you must ascend quickly. (See 'AMS treatment' below.)

If you have had high-altitude illness before, you may be able to avoid taking preventive medicines by ascending slowly. If you need medication, you will need a prescription for these treatments.

●Prevention usually includes a medicine called acetazolamide (brand name: Diamox), which you start taking the day before you ascend and continue for 48 hours or until you reach the highest point of your trip. Acetazolamide speeds up the process of acclimatization. (See "Acute mountain sickness and high-altitude cerebral edema".)

Acetazolamide can temporarily cause carbonated drinks to taste unpleasant. Other side effects can include the need to urinate more frequently, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet, nausea, drowsiness, or blurry vision. Acetazolamide is not recommended for pregnant women.

Acetazolamide is a sulfa medicine, but many people with a sulfa allergy can take acetazolamide without a problem. If you are allergic to sulfa, talk to your doctor or nurse to determine if you should take a test dose before traveling. (See "Sulfonamide allergy in HIV-uninfected patients", section on 'Cross-reactivity'.)

●Dexamethasone is a steroid that may be recommended as a preventive treatment if you are allergic to acetazolamide or do not tolerate it.

●Taking aspirin or ibuprofen can help to prevent the headache that often occurs with AMS. If you will be ascending quickly, you can start taking aspirin or ibuprofen before you ascend. Otherwise, take it only if you develop a headache.