All you tarp guys!

Mckinnon

WKR
I was just wondering how you guys keep your sleeping bags clean and in good shape. Bivy? Ground tarp? Don't even try? Please let me know as I am thinking of going to this type of set up, but can't afford to buy a new bag often... Thanks!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are lots of solutions from a piece of Tyvek to a floor sheet of some sort. Seek Outside quit making their bathtub 2-person set up.

dotman

WKR
I'll just throw a contactor grade 3mil garbage bag under my foam pad.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of options for sure. I keep my sleeping bag in an OR Aurora bivy at all times. Dry, warm and happy.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
These are great options, thanks. I always use a regular size pad, I am just wondering if your guys' bags get all dirty with no floor?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been mulling this over lately myself. I currently use a Tarptent Contrail, which has a floor included, but I am considering using the Golite PonchoTarp/Bivy and Golite SL5/Bivy as my shelters this year.

I am currently leaning towards a Tigoat Bivy.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used a foam pad for a long time, but bring a bivy now.

I like having the bivy because I can throw it in the pack (with sleeping bag) anytime I head out from camp and if I get on game and don't want to hike back to camp I can stay wherever I end up. The protection of the bag is an extra bonus.

The bivy is also going to add a few degrees extra in your sleeping bag and that's another added bonus.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like the idea of having a bivy as well. I think ill pick up the tigoat if money allows for this season. If not i will have one by winter camping.

Eagle

WKR
I use a Ti Goat Raven bivy with my tarp to keep the bag clean and to keep any wind driven rain from getting on my WM bag.

My suggestion with the Ti Goat bivy's is to get the Raven if you plan on putting an inflatable sleeping pad in the bivy with your bag. The extra room over the ptarmigan is a great, and it's about an ounce difference in weight.

millsms

FNG
I've been mulling this over lately myself. I currently use a Tarptent Contrail, which has a floor included, but I am considering using the Golite PonchoTarp/Bivy and Golite SL5/Bivy as my shelters this year.

I am currently leaning towards a Tigoat Bivy.

How do you like your Tarptent?
I'm looking at the Moment or Sublite this year?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I love the tarptent. It is as light as a really light tarp/bivy setup, is roomy for a solo shelter, and has total bug protection.

The only issues I have are:

1. Velcro vestibule closure. It holds well enough, surprisingly even in some pretty high winds, but it is way more cumbersome than a zipper.

2. Condensation can occur when the weather is right (wrong?), and you have the vestibule closed.

Overall, it is the best solo UL shelter I have used.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
The contrail (and most of the Tarptents) are great shelters. FWIW, the newer versions of the contrail have zippers on the vestibule.

I love the tarptent. It is as light as a really light tarp/bivy setup, is roomy for a solo shelter, and has total bug protection.

1. Velcro vestibule closure. It holds well enough, surprisingly even in some pretty high winds, but it is way more cumbersome than a zipper.

2. Condensation can occur when the weather is right (wrong?), and you have the vestibule closed.

I've been looking at this option more and more Bitterroot Bulls. The shelter might not be the best for a winter snow storm blowout, rated for 3 season and all but for the weight and most of the season use I'm interested in doing it seems to be a pretty good fit for my use.

The contrail (and most of the Tarptents) are great shelters. FWIW, the newer versions of the contrail have zippers on the vestibule.

That's good to know about the zipper change. Thanks for the feedback stawman.

millsms

FNG

Thanks for the feedback... Most of the tarptent looks great and the weight and look of the Moment is what i like at only 30 oz.....yeah i like bug protection :)

millsms

FNG
Also i'm not usually using treking poles so thats why i wasn't sure about the sublite but i know you can add poles for another 5 oz.

Eagle

WKR
I've got a Tarptent Double Rainbow for anytime I can get my wife to go with me as she won't sleep under the tarp. Great shelter, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the tarptent products, Henry Shires knows what he's doing.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Also i'm not usually using treking poles so thats why i wasn't sure about the sublite but i know you can add poles for another 5 oz.

I have the accessory pole for the Contrail, and it works OK (a little flimsy), but a trekking pole works much better. Also, keep in mind that trekking poles are just generally awesome for hunting. In fact, the only reason I got the accessory pole, was to free up my trekking pole for the day of hunting, and still keep the tent pitched.

I have also used sticks I found near my campsite with great success as a pole.