Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
All,

The Alaska Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation is in the process of organizing and fighting to keep sheep on the mountain.

Check it out here:
http://akwildsheep.org/

If you are already a WSF member give the WSF a call and be sure to sign up for you local Chapter, whether it be Alaska or wherever.

INFO Below......
http://akwildsheep.org/goals

About The Foundation
The Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation (AK WSF) was established as an Alaskan non-profit corporation in December 2014 and chartered by their parent organization, the Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF), in January 2015. The purpose of AK WSF is “Putting and keeping sheep on the mountain." With members throughout Alaska and the United States, the volunteer-driven organization works to facilitate science-based management of wild sheep throughout the state. Approximately 25% of the wild sheep in North America live in Alaska. AK WSF is fully aligned with the national Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF) requiring dual membership in both organizations. This relationship also helps guarantee that the organizations always speak with one voice. As such, AK WSF is authorized to represents the national Foundation on all matters in Alaska related to Dall sheep.

AK WSF is open to all persons and organizations that subscribe to the mission and purpose of AK WSF and comply with the stipulations set forth in the Bylaws, Ethics Policy, and the other AK WSF guidance documents. Dual membership is required so each member of the AK WSF must be a member in good standing of our parent organization, the Wild Sheep Foundation.

The purpose of AK WSF is “Putting and keeping sheep on the mountain."

Can you please explain how they are going to "put" sheep on the mountain in Alaska?

Also, what is their stance on Resident hunting opportunities?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys should attend the meetings. I'm new to the chapter and hope to attend the next meeting. I'll pass your question on

You guys should attend the meetings. I'm new to the chapter and hope to attend the next meeting. I'll pass your question on

Ok, ok, we may have been just a tad snarky. WSF AK is a little controversial up here, and the "put and keep" bit is lifted from a L48 mission statement that makes very little sense in Alaska. Not sure why they still use that in the boilerplate you pasted. The current Alaska Mission Statement is:

"AK WSF will enhance wild sheep populations, promote scientific wildlife management, educate the public on wild sheep, and protect and enhance sheep hunting and viewing opportunities in Alaska."

That is somewhat more appropriate in my mind.

If case you don't know, the last WSF chapter up here imploded in total dysfunction. The new one is being kept on a very short leash by WSF National, and many people suspect it is basically a puppet for them. That whole bit about National and AK WSF "speaking with one voice" thing on their website is a legacy of that past dysfunction. Although WSF seems to have backed off a bit recently, their goals and positions have not always aligned with residents, which leads to some continued skepticism among many hunters up here.

Yk

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Understood. I know the history, have high hopes for this go around. Only way to know for sure is to be a part of it and see where it goes. ;)

tuffcity

WKR
be a part of it and see where it goes.

This is very true. You can help drive that bus or sit in the back and complain where its going...

Simplistically put, even the WSF slogan fits with the Alaska vision statement.

"AK WSF will enhance wild sheep populations (put), promote scientific wildlife management,(keep) educate the public on wild sheep, and protect and enhance sheep hunting and viewing opportunities in Alaska."

RC
(BOD- WSSBC)

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spoke with the President via email this week. He would rather talk with those who have questions than put a general response on the net. There is good info on the AK WSF website as well if you take the time to read through it.

Kevin told me to post his contact info. Please reach out if you have questions.

I think the areas we can all agree on is better sheep management, habit protection and development, and support for enhanced sheep research and counts. Sheep are facing a tough future as habitats change and pressure increases. I for one want to be a part of the process to help in whatever way I can.

You can reach Kevin via the below:
Kevin J Kehoe
President
Alaska Wild Sheep Foundation
(907) 868-8821
[email protected]

I have spoken to Kevin before. Seems like an OK guy, and his answers were fine (if mostly non-committal, for obvious reasons). The other board members are a more question marks in my mind, although I'm not knocking them at this point.

I've got to point out though, that AK WSF isn't exactly driving the bus that is Alaska sheep politics. They have a seat at the table, but so do lots of other people and organizations. As far as I can tell, at this point they simply don't represent enough residents to mean much. If I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me. From where I stand though, I personally don't see any reason to throw in with them until I see how the leadership acquits themselves at the Working Group meetings. Besides Kevin, Aaron Bloomquist is there also in his role as rep for APHA I believe, and he (or rather his wife perhaps?) has some proposals that will be coming up in March.

As a side note, WSF National a few years ago upped the amount they donate to AKF&G from a tiny nominal yearly amount to some fairly real dollars. They are clearly trying to get involved on more than one level, and it's fair to say that F&G could likely use the money.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes sense. I just want to help. I have high hopes it will work out, and plan to be as involved as I can be and see how it goes. Heck, I drew DS140 this year, so it will be a heck of year sheep wise for me!

deadwolf

WKR
Congrats to you High Country! I too am hoping that the Alaska chapter fins success and doesn't go down like the last go around. I keep meaning to email Kevin and help out somehow, but have just been extremely busy with family. Thanks for posting. Oh, and DS203 for me and my hunting partner!!

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats to you High Country! I too am hoping that the Alaska chapter fins success and doesn't go down like the last go around. I keep meaning to email Kevin and help out somehow, but have just been extremely busy with family. Thanks for posting. Oh, and DS203 for me and my hunting partner!!

Nice job! DS203 Should be a fun tag to take on!

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm optimistically excited to have a sheep organization back in Alaska. I don't know of any other animal in Alaska that is debated more passionately than sheep. I've really been waiting to see what direction the local chapter will take before throwing my money into the mix. Hopefully they have a booth at the Sportman's Show this spring so people can meet and talk to the local chapter leadership.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm optimistically excited to have a sheep organization back in Alaska. I don't know of any other animal in Alaska that is debated more passionately than sheep. I've really been waiting to see what direction the local chapter will take before throwing my money into the mix. Hopefully they have a booth at the Sportman's Show this spring so people can meet and talk to the local chapter leadership.
Yes, I believe the plan is to have a booth at the show. They are also sponsoring the Hunting Film Tour here in Anchorage next month and are meeting weekly. Pretty sure you can attend the meeting to find out more without any $$ commitment. I'm hoping to make Thursday's meeting, but the last week of the month is a busy one for me at work.

Last edited:
The film tour on the 10th was pretty much horrible (Turkey, Whitetail and even duck hunts), aside from the videos of kids hunting, specifically Corey's son (That one was awesome).

I joined the local chapter at the event but based on some information that came to light recently I am canceling my membership today. This organization is headed down the same path as the last one and does not have residents of Alaska in mind. Sheep should be first, residents should be second, anything else is merely pushing the agenda (with WSF increased funds to the org) of those that do not live here.

The film tour on the 10th was pretty much horrible (Turkey, Whitetail and even duck hunts), aside from the videos of kids hunting, specifically Corey's son (That one was awesome).

I joined the local chapter at the event but based on some information that came to light recently I am canceling my membership today. This organization is headed down the same path as the last one and does not have residents of Alaska in mind. Sheep should be first, residents should be second, anything else is merely pushing the agenda (with WSF increased funds to the org) of those that do not live here.

Can you share the information that recently came to light please?

Bad choice of words, as I doubt it just came to light. I heard about comments made with regards to their stance on residents. Also, if one looks at where the majority of their funding comes from they are influenced by NR. Additionally, I heard that one of them stated "Whoever has the coin, makes the rules" or something to that affect and it may have been misconstrued in translation but I doubt it.

This is merely my opinion and I urge everyone else to do what's best for them.

kaboku68

WKR
Tony Russ used to produce the Ram magazine. It was short and kind of hokey but it was authentic and represented Alaskan resident hunters. Since FNAWS went off the cliff and removed him from the board this is like 15 years ago they have found a big hole to languish in. I like Wayne Heimer, Becky Swanke, Frank Robbins, Ken Whitten and others. But I am about four years before retiring to hunt the long hunts in the Park so I doubt anybody wants my involvement with things.

Tony Russ used to produce the Ram magazine. It was short and kind of hokey but it was authentic and represented Alaskan resident hunters. Since FNAWS went off the cliff and removed him from the board this is like 15 years ago they have found a big hole to languish in. I like Wayne Heimer, Becky Swanke, Frank Robbins, Ken Whitten and others. But I am about four years before retiring to hunt the long hunts in the Park so I doubt anybody wants my involvement with things.

Thomas, even though you are four years out from heading to the happy hunting grounds and sheep hunting heaven, I know that I for one, would very much appreciate your involvement with all things sheep, to include WSF and/or other sheep organizations. Your knowledge base is incredible, and would be a very valuable asset to advocate on behalf of the resident sheep hunter. Even though you'll be chasing those big Wrangell Rams around, I would still like to think your knowledge and input would be of incredible help to the average resident sheep hunter. Just my two cents.

Josh