alaska unit 1C or 4

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at going on a goat hunt based out of gustavus and I can't find much on it. Has anyone hunted around that country that could provide some information about best time to go, terrain, or overall insight. Clearly I'm not looking for way points just if it's good goat country and would be a good place for my first goat hunt. I've done 2 diy drop camp moose hunts in central and east alaska and am looking for a new adventure. TIA

I think your first call should be the biologist in Juneau. If you can make the visit to the office in Douglas then you can see how many points are available in the subunits there. That should help you narrow down where to go. As for when to go, some of that will depend on how short of days you're willing to risk for longer hair, versus longer days with potentially better weather and shorter hair. Of course if you try to go too late, the subunit may be closed because the quota has been filled. Lastly the terrain will be brutal. It will be a jungle of alders and devils club for at least the first 2,000 feet from sea level. It will be brutal, Kodiak it ain't. Seriously though, call the biologists in Juneau as you'll get more assistance than asking on the internet. Thank goodness there is at least one area in Alaska that doesn't have a ton of information about it for everyone to find.

Last edited:
I'm looking at going on a goat hunt based out of gustavus and I can't find much on it. Has anyone hunted around that country that could provide some information about best time to go, terrain, or overall insight. Clearly I'm not looking for way points just if it's good goat country and would be a good place for my first goat hunt. I've done 2 diy drop camp moose hunts in central and east alaska and am looking for a new adventure. TIA
Did you end up finding anything?

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt is happening next year. It's tricky finding out information but I plan to call the biologist next year after the winter passes and hope to get more details.