Alaska looking to auction more tags

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
well, my first thought is i dont like it, but let me read the article and get back to ya

jherald

WKR
Lots of variables here.

#1 (possibility) These permits coming from the already limited pool of lottery permits we have to draw from, reducing the numbers of permits allowed to be had from the drawing because they aren't really "giving out" more permits, just taking the permits from the pool that is there.

#2 (possibility) Permits going to outside of state groups to raise money for "conservation". What and where will the money be going to? Guaranteed it won't be coming back to Alaska.

#3 you see where I'm going with it, the list can be endless with variables.

Also to quote from the article

"It gets worse. The bill would repeal the provision that an organization must be “based in the state” to qualify. Under existing law, national organizations can qualify for free permits if they are active in Alaska. But by removing the provision, any out-of-state hunting organization can be given permits. Do we really want to hand out big-game permits to fund hunting organizations or wildlife conservation efforts outside of Alaska?

Here’s another amendment that’s really sneaky. Under the existing law, the governor’s permittee “may exercise the privileges conveyed by the permit, license, or tag only in accordance with applicable law.” The department has always interpreted this to mean governor’s permittees must hunt only during open seasons, only in open areas, and only using the methods allowed in that season and area. For example, a governor’s permittee couldn’t hunt with a rifle in an archery-only area or season.

The bill replaces “applicable law” with “conditions set by the commissioner.” That is code for 'anything goes.' Perhaps you are one of the lucky souls who have finally beat the odds by winning a Dall sheep permit for the western Chugach Mountains in the annual state drawing lottery. Some hunters have waited 20 years or more for one of these permits. What if the commissioner or her boss, the governor, decides to let one or more of the governor’s permittees loose in your hunt area a week before the regular hunting season. Or lets them use rifles in a hunt area normally restricted to archery. Or lets them hunt in an area closed to hunting." end quote.

In a perfect world with honest folks this could work if the money raised from it all came directly back to ADFG for strict purposes of research and conservation. Money raised from each species permits would go directly back into research for that particular species. However, Most likely though, most if not all of the money raised will stay within the state where the permit was given to, it will to go "research" or "habitat restoration" in some generalized coffer someplace, not to go into any specific study or research for Alaska. Probably into the HSUS for a save the Montana Wolves from the hunters campaign or a Save The California Mountain Lions. Threw that last line in for some mild humor, but seriously though, with that much money being collected from all those permits, it makes you wonder where exactly all of it is going to go. For anyone who has lived here a long time, ADFG surely doesnt seem to have made any huge leaps or bounds in anything. That's just been my personal experience.

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
my one liner goes like this.

I don't want a "trophy" bull/buck/boar etc, to go to some fella, with deep pockets from out of state, who hires some guide company that has had their eyes on the giant for years. those beauty's should go to a the guy/gal who puts in the time and effort, spots stalks/calls and EARNS the trophy.

guess that is a bit more than one line. my apologizes

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
There are a couple language changes which may be beneficial but the heart of the bill is little more than selling off Alaska's game to the highest bidder. They will tell you it's to further funds to AK Fish and Game but this is the lazy politicians way of doing it. The truth is that hunting license fees for both resident and non-residents need to be raised in the state. Currently every dollar spend on license fees is matched 3:1 by the Feds. Raised license fees for both residents and non-residents the best and most stable long term solution for increasing F&G funding. The downside is that license fees can only be increased through the state legislature and we all know how effective government is at getting anything done that might actually take some work. Way easier to pass a bill getting rich out of stater's to pay for our wildlife management, right.