Alaska black bear?

I just found out I’m going to work in Talkeetna Alaska in August. I’d like to take advantage of it and do a mountain black bear hunt. I’ve talked to multiple pilots about flying into a lake. They can’t advise me on what lakes to look at because they aren’t guides? How do you guys pick what lake you fly into? What do you look for?

You're looking for a transporter. Actually I think they must be a transporter in order to transport hunters. They will generally cost way more than hourly air taxi and way less than a guide. The exception might be if you're a local and have a good idea of where to go. But it's hard to know where they can land or where they're willing to take you. Generally, they will put you in a good area. They fly the areas and the game is clearly visible from the air.

You probably don't want to go into a lake that time of year but have them drop you on a slope with a wheeled plane. I'm sure there's other strategies, however.

OP
E
'
You're looking for a transporter. Actually I think they must be a transporter in order to transport hunters. They will generally cost way more than hourly air taxi and way less than a guide. The exception might be if you're a local and have a good idea of where to go. But it's hard to know where they can land or where they're willing to take you. Generally, they will put you in a good area. They fly the areas and the game is clearly visible from the air.

You probably don't want to go into a lake that time of year but have them drop you on a slope with a wheeled plane. I'm sure there's other strategies, however.
Thanks for the reply. What’s the reason for landing in a slope instead of a lake?

I’ve talked with a couple transporters. They said they couldn’t give any advice on where to go due to not being a guide. They said I’d have to figure out where I wanted to go.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
'

Thanks for the reply. What’s the reason for landing in a slope instead of a lake?

I’ve talked with a couple transporters. They said they couldn’t give any advice on where to go due to not being a guide. They said I’d have to figure out where I wanted to go.
Transporters can recommend areas, strips and lakes. Air Taxi’s cannot. Both can transport hunters. Air taxi’s are suppose to charge by the hour while transporters can give you a packaged price. Also air taxi’s cannot advertise dropping off hunters. It’s a little confusing but I hope I explained it enough to make sense. You were talking to air taxi’s.

Talkeetna doesn’t have many options to fly you in for hunting. Most the licensed pilots are non hunters who can make more money in a day of flying people around sight seeing than dropping off and picking up stinking hunters.

Shoot me a PM and give you a couple options.

'

I'd look for transporters that have websites that advertise hunting particularly black bear hunting. These businesses usually cater to hunters, especially non locals. You're probably looking $3k+, a number that keeps going up.

Black bear feed on hard and soft mast in the late summer and fall to prepare for hibernation, and in Alaska much of this is berries. Obviously, berries will be at many elevations and around lakes. However, once you get above the treeline, you will have better visibility to actually see the bears. Black bears don't like being in the open, but way up on the hillside they seem to feel comfortable with that certain times a year. With limited gear weight, there's no reason to restrict your landing strips to the lakes.

AKDoc

WKR
Transporters can recommend areas, strips and lakes. Air Taxi’s cannot. Both can transport hunters. Air taxi’s are suppose to charge by the hour while transporters can give you a packaged price. Also air taxi’s cannot advertise dropping off hunters. It’s a little confusing but I hope I explained it enough to make sense. You were talking to air taxi’s...
^^^right on information^^^

Early May has been my preference for spot/stalk black bear hunting on the snow slides and slopes...they are just out of their dens, their hides are thick and full and the meat is good because they are primarily eating grass to jump start their gi-system after being dormant all winter. Also, the brush has not yet popped, so they are easier to spot.

I only mention that as a comparative to August which is quite different, but I understand that this is an opportunity hunt given a fortuitous work assignment. As a suggestion, read the regulations really well for any restrictions within the GMU you will be hunting, as well as other reg's associated with black bear salvage requirements, etc. I'm assuming that you will have a vehicle? Give some consideration to driving to areas that are not heavily used for recreation, where you can hike to alpine and glass for them. A bear that's been down low and eating fish all summer is often not very tasty. Call the ADFG and speak with the biologist assigned to the GMU you plan to hunt...he/she is typically very helpful giving you recent information they have regarding the species you plan to hunt...they are helpful and informed go-to folks.

The very best to you for a great adventure!

Having done both, my vote is solidly for August over spring. With spring hunting it's as if you're too early or too late. As a nonlocal, you're definitely hitting it right time wise with August. Though if you were around for an extended time in May, that may be the way to do spring.

While transporter hunt prices are skyrocketing, if you're looking for more of a success than a learning experience, it's a better option than going off the road...again from personal experience of doing both as a nonresident. Though being there throughout the month might, again, put some odds in your favor hunting off the road system as a novice especially if you find a local friend. In Alaska, the road and trail system are way more limited than they are around the Rocky states (again, having done both) and much of the bush and slopes basically impossible to traverse.

That said, it you're working without much time off, the road might be your option. Keep in mind aircraft require good weather to fly and you shouldn't be surprised if your departure and return end up being on mother nature's schedule instead of yours.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. But having done it several times, I recommend you heed the constraints of a nonlocal even being there a month. Even the transporters will treat you completely differently than a resident. They can have the last word if they want, but that's the way it is.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
If black bear in alaska is your dream hunt I say go for the fly out option. But honestly there’s some road based options that are about as easy as it can get in late August. If you can hike a few miles I see no problem getting a bear if you have a few days. Just bring your pack, sleeping bag and tent. I wouldn’t even worry about stove and freeze dried stuff. Take some leftover pizza from Talkeetna and some snacks and get it done. keep it simple.

A fly out bear hunt gets spendy fast. It’s a little cheaper than caribou but not by much. You gotta really love black bear hunting to fly in for them. To keep costs down I’ve always found air taxi route to be cheaper vs transporter. Both fly to the same areas, one just takes a little more research on your part.