AK Species rules confusion...

dmdude

FNG
I'll post a picture for an example but here is my confusion...

I'm a non resident, so for brown bear, dall sheep, and mtn goat I obviously need a guide to hunt these but why are some listed as "guided non residents only" and some just "non residents only" when I know you have to have a guide for either. Example on the attached picture is Dall Sheep vs Brown Bear.

The next confusion is, are there actual "guided non residents only" moose units as in this example? I thought all moose units didn't need a guide. I think it was my mistake assuming this, but just checking my confusion.

I hope this makes sense!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 11.33.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 11.33.06 AM.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 69
It just means that particular hunt/tag is only available to those folks who fit that category.

Its like that all over Alaska for fishing and otherwise, where guided non-res have different rules than non-guided non res, ect....

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
It just means that particular hunt/tag is only available to those folks who fit that category.

Its like that all over Alaska for fishing and otherwise, where guided non-res have different rules than non-guided non res, ect....
But the Brown Bear doesn't mention needing a guide, but I know any Brown Bear non resident MUST be guided. Unless this is an exception, but I don't see that.

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
But the Brown Bear doesn't mention needing a guide, but I know any Brown Bear non resident MUST be guided. Unless this is an exception, but I don't see that.

There is an exception. Non-resident hunters can hunt guide-required species in AK with a resident relative who is "2nd Degree of Kindred." There are some differences for military folks as well that get some benefits of residency without meeting the time-in-state requirements of residency.

Seems to me like the guide-require tags for animals that otherwise don't require a guide is a way to guarantee guides in certain areas that their clients will be able to get a tag for each species they want to hunt on their trip? Another option is the state trying to guarantee some opportunity for those that only want to hunt with a guide separate from the res and non res DIY folks.

For clarification, the list that the OP posted is a list of available drawing tags and who qualifies for them, not hunting units or areas. Typically each game management unit will have some combination of harvest ticket (OTC) hunts, drawing hunts (lottery system), and registration (limited #, first-come-first served) hunts.

Guide only hunts you have to get a code number from a guide to put in. Yes it is part of the outfitter welfare program!

As mentioned non residents can hunt with first degree family instead of a guide. They are not eligible for the “guide only” tags. NR don’t need a guide only tag to still go guided though.

The military benefits are for price of a NR tag before they are actually residents, however they cannot Hunt resident hunts until their 12 months are passed.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
So as an Ak resident I can not hunt a brown bear in Ak because only non- residents can hunt brown bears in that area.
To be clear. Only non residents can hunt a specific area and residents can't. Just seems like something is wrong here

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
So as an Ak resident I can not hunt a brown bear in Ak because only non- residents can hunt brown bears in that area.
To be clear. Only non residents can hunt a specific area and residents can't. Just seems like something is wrong here

You can’t apply for that specific draw tag.

There will be resident opportunities for that species in the same area.

The kodiak brown bear draw situation has created a raw deal for residents I think. Because the guide areas are exclusive use and brown bears are draw only for non-res, non-res can buy their way into a trophy brown bear area whereas residents have to play the lotto and will likely never draw their dream bear tag.

OP
D

dmdude

FNG
I have noticed there will be another hunt number for that unit for residents. I just posted the above as an example of some left over hunts. I hope that residents are allowed to hunt any unit a non resident is allowed. I'm a non resident but respect that residents comes first. If you're in my state, I'd expect the same.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Something is wrong here when a regulation book says non resident hunting only. As a person, I would take that as it's written.
So a guide from the out of state can guide n hunt there but a person from another state can't ?
What if I wanted to guide a relative ?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I gotta say, I have been checked by a Warden in AK. I was impressed as hell because the only way to get where we were, was to fly about 50-70 miles in a plane. Hell, here in AZ I have been checked maybe 3 times in 30 years.

Something is wrong here when a regulation book says non resident hunting only. As a person, I would take that as it's written.
So a guide from the out of state can guide n hunt there but a person from another state can't ?
I think you're interpreting it wrong. I just looked at the bear regs for 22b and 22c and residents can hunt that area. One of them is otc and the other is registration. So sure that non resident draw hunt is non res only. But a resident can just go get a tag when ever to hunt the same area and in 22b residents can shoot 2 while a non res with a draw tag can shoot 1

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MBN

FNG
If you want to hunt with a Non Res relative on Kodiak for bear they would apply for the resident tag/tags for the area, not saying it seems right but it is all detailed in the drawing supplement. A different example is DS140 is a sheep tag that is Res only and DS240 is the Non Res tag both for the same area. But the Non Res relative applies for the Non res only tag. Kodiak tags mostly being on Fed land is the difference in how the tags are distributed I believe

MBN

FNG
If there is a left over Res tag it is available for Res only
If there is a left over Non Res tag it is available for Nons only
at least how I understand it at least. There have been proposals to change this

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-05 070108.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-05 070108.png
    359 KB · Views: 1

What was posted above isn’t from any regulations book. It’s a screen shot of the undersubscribed draw TAGS. Key word being TAGS. It’s not a document that defines who can hunt where and for what. Just tells who can apply for the draw tag.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks kwack. That wasn't settling very well.
Yeah the feds. With the guide concession areas instead of a free market system. Seems like only folks with lots more money than the average folks will have a chance to hunt these parts.
Maybe just me again. But I spent my life in the bush. Just who I am. All year long n after a while I kinda learned a few things about animals, surviving n such. My kids or grandkids love hanging with me in the bush and have also learned a few things after living there whole lives here. And can't become a guide and guide folks. I could be from Kodiak or Cold Bay. My family spent their lives living the dream n ak outdoors. And can't have a chance to do this if they choose to do this for a living. Because a guide from ak or a lot that don't live here can. What about a kid from one of the villages ? Whole family knows the area that they live in for forever and can not have a chance to be a guide if they wanted to ?
And so there is a closed loop where guides can set any price. And the average folks never get a chance.
But then again I really don't see a need for folks to have to have a guide. Does our government have to protect us from going out hunting n getting hurt or something ? We have an over population of browns in the area between Anchorage n Homer. They have to have government folks fly around in helicopters n shoot bears.
I'll bet a lot of folks would love to have the opportunity to harvest one and put money into the department budget for their biologists.
But folks might get hurt I guess. If you hunt moose your in brown country no difference. Chance of having a bear come in while you're sounding like a cow in heat. And every bull within earshot is closing in. Bears have figured this out n know the moose are a bit distracted. A opening, and that is what they are looking for.
Might fall off a mountain hunting goats probably someone who climbs mountains should be along.
It's America. Things are supposed to be a bit more equal in my mind. I'm getting tired of government and folks that seem like they can manipulate it for their own profits it seems like.
Hey maybe I'm just wrong n don't understand. But when folks can't compete in a free market business enterprise ? In America. If the game is within the departments management goals, why ?
Just wish more folks had the opportunity to hunt these magnificent animals. And even a chance for less government. And more money to support our state biologists. And cut the states budget.
I don't know, is it like this everywhere ? And do most folks that enjoy hunting support this ?
I admit that I go hunt n do my own thing and don't know everything. Just a guy that supports the rights of everyone to be treated the same n have the same chance.
Ain't nobody special in my book except my beautiful wife n family. And I would prefer that they are equal to everyone else.