AK New Guy

22lr

WKR
Hey all,

New guy here, just moved up to AK and this season will be my first as a resident (read, I should get to spend some time in the field). Ive been a stalker of the forums and blogs for awhile now but figured id get signed up. Currently spending a little quality time with my favorite federal uncle in the sandbox, but hoping these movement restrictions lift and I can actually get back home in time to hit up my first sheep hunt! Been hunting whitetails in the lower 48 for many years but finally looking forward to a new challange. My plan was to do on a sheep and a Kodiak goat trip this year, but time will tell how COVID affects my current trip plans... :/

Many thanks and looking forward to contributing as well as reading more!

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Fairbanks or Anchorage?
I can’t help ya with sheep or goat, but if you want to talk caribou or moose, let me know.

Down in Anchorage, and sounds good! So far ive done some fishing and thats about it, but hoping to get out a good bit this year. If the Rona doesnt stop me from ever getting home... haha.

Heck yea! I’m in the same boat. Grew up in the Southwest and moved up here last year. Cant wait too get in the hills for my first sheep hunt. Are you in Anchorage or Fairbanks?

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Heck yea! I’m in the same boat. Grew up in the Southwest and moved up here last year. Cant wait too get in the hills for my first sheep hunt. Are you in Anchorage or Fairbanks?

It's funny how a few mountains really liven up the landscape! I'm a Hoosier native myself. It's been phenomenal living up North so far!

carter33

WKR
Welcome

When I moved up to Alaska I had a somewhat unrealistic expectation of how successful I would be hunting. That has honestly made it all the more fun though. I think a great approach is to start where you are more likely to have success like caribou and work into the more challenging/extreme hunts.

I am guessing you will only be here a few years which makes it tough, there is just too much to do so you will have to prioritize. I would honestly look at making a by year plan on what/where you want to hunt to maximize the experience. If sheep is above and beyond the one thing you want to accomplish by all means go for it but I would go in knowing success rates are not great unless you are one of the guys with "a spot" or plane or someone with one of those takes you.

I have my first goat hunt all lined up for Kodiak this next fall flying in with island air so let me know if you have any questions there. A few people on this forum have a lot more experience with kodiak goat than I do but I am happy to give my input.

And you never know you may just decide to make Alaska your permanent home like many others including myself.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
Welcome

When I moved up to Alaska I had a somewhat unrealistic expectation of how successful I would be hunting. That has honestly made it all the more fun though. I think a great approach is to start where you are more likely to have success like caribou and work into the more challenging/extreme hunts.

I am guessing you will only be here a few years which makes it tough, there is just too much to do so you will have to prioritize. I would honestly look at making a by year plan on what/where you want to hunt to maximize the experience. If sheep is above and beyond the one thing you want to accomplish by all means go for it but I would go in knowing success rates are not great unless you are one of the guys with "a spot" or plane or someone with one of those takes you.

I have my first goat hunt all lined up for Kodiak this next fall flying in with island air so let me know if you have any questions there. A few people on this forum have a lot more experience with kodiak goat than I do but I am happy to give my input.

And you never know you may just decide to make Alaska your permanent home like many others including myself.

Great advice for sure! Im planning for this to be a 8-10 day hiking trip with a rifle, if I can shoot anything its just gonna be the icing on the cake. This is the last year in AK for a buddy of mine so im more or less tagging along on his last chance to make it work.

But ive definetly been reading a lot on this site and with some good ole fashion books. Looking forward to getting out there and just enjoying the mountians.