AK DIY moose advice

We have a DIY drop hunt planned for this September, with most of the gear bought, airfare, transporter fees, plan to get meat/antlers home, vehicle rental and accomodations we are looking at around $11,000 / person.

Ryan7839

FNG
We booked with Willow Air for a float trip this fall. Fingers crossed that it all plays out like we hope!!

The extras to get in and out of McGrath are adding up quickly! But that's part of the adventure, dodging your wife when you pull out the extra $4k after you told her it only be X amount in the first place I mean! lol

The business was sold recently and the new owner/guide seems like a great guy, but the prices did go up. In Harrisburgh last week he did say that he was booked out to 2027 currently though!

OP
Ok I had about that much in mind with license and everything. Thanks and good luck to you. Be sure to post a picture of your moose!

280rem

FNG
Ok I had about that much in mind with license and everything. Thanks and good luck to you. Be sure to post a picture of your moose!
Have you made any decisions yet? There are a ton of options that can range from 2-15k for transporter cost, most in the 7-10 range. I’d say it boils down to your goals. If it’s a one time deal and you're looking for high odds and high trophy potential that’s gonna be towards the highest. I myself look at the most sustainable option of going every year Or doesn’t kill my budget for doing other hunts that year, so I look to the lower end of prices. Honestly I’ve been on 9 hunts in Alaska and encountered other hunters in the field 8 of those. So I generally am not going to spend a ton of money to fly to very “remote” places, been there done that, and encountered people, so I’ll save some money and just rid of all the ill conceived notions of “remote” Alaska. I do include, aircraft buzzing over low and tracks and kill sites along the river I’m floating as encountering other hunters as well as actual encounters. If you want to keep it at the bottom of the price range it will require a TON of research and understanding logistics and how things work in Alaska, and that won’t come from simply asking questions on a forum. You can hunt moose in Alaska way cheaper than most people think and be lining up stuff in a yearly time frame (instead of the common heard 2-3 years) but will require some deep digging. Otherwise if I had a higher end budget either look at unit 18 options or get with Larry Bartlett and use his service, either will likely be booked years ahead. BIG thing to keep in mind, transporters in remote locations require substantial costs to get to and especially get back from unless you plan to donate your meat (which means you’ve never eaten moose before, or have little regard for the quality of meat you do eat). Plus a moose tag and hunting license is $960 just to pass go. I do find it amazing how many people must have 10-15k budgets just to get dropped off and picked up.

nick2021

FNG
If there was one recommendation you could give from those five trips, what would it be?
I have been on 5 diy moose fly ins in the last 9 years and cost has ranged from about $5k to creeping up on $15k. With inflation, doubt I could come close to the 5k again. I was 1 for 5 in taking a moose. Hunted 42 days to get my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmrfish

WKR
If there was one recommendation you could give from those five trips, what would it be?

I guess I would say to just savor the experience and roll with it. It’s the journey, not the destination. Really feel fortunate to be able to do something like these - collectively one of the highlights of my life really.

nick2021

FNG
Thank you
I guess I would say to just savor the experience and roll with it. It’s the journey, not the destination. Really feel fortunate to be able to do something like these - collectively one of the highlights of my life really.