AICS Magazine rattle

madgrad02

WKR
I tried looking for some messages and in the interweb, didn't find much, so sorry if this was found elsewhere. . So I mocked up my rifle this weekend, got it all hand-tightened up and all was well, no magazine rattle. Once it was together, realized I had forgotten to decrease the trigger spring pressure, so popped bottom metal back off and back off the trigger tension screw. Get it all buttoned back up (granted, action not torqued down as I need a smith to torque barrel and headspace for me yet), but now the AICS magazine seems to rattle even after several attempts to re-seat everything. Maybe this will go away once actually torque down the action, but any way to minimize the AICS magazine rattle down the road? Just wondering what changed since it was quiet this AM? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230314_184928.jpg
    20230314_184928.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
madgrad02

madgrad02

WKR
Anyone experienced this and found a solution, or are the AICS variations just inherently a little noisier?

OP
madgrad02

madgrad02

WKR
It's not a rattle in the magazine so much as the magazine rattling like it's loose (can move an 1/8" or so seemingly). Will try to add a quick vid shortly.

OP
madgrad02

madgrad02

WKR
Or perhaps a follow up, is a mesa precision strictly a drop in, or does it require bedding?

woods89

WKR
It's not a rattle in the magazine so much as the magazine rattling like it's loose (can move an 1/8" or so seemingly). Will try to add a quick vid shortly.
I have a strip of electrical tape on each side of my 5 round to give it just a bit of a friction fit. It keeps the mag from dropping out when the latch is hit as well. I've never noticed it rattling after doing that and with it loaded up.

OP
madgrad02

madgrad02

WKR
Having rounds in the magazine helped, can try the electrical tape route too perhaps. Thanks all.

Seeknelk

WKR
Yeah they almost all have some play and rattle. Those fixes up there help the rattle but you still have a scrotum where you'd usually put your hand🤣😉

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Put some soft sided velcro around the magazine and it will take the rattle out. Due to there not being a true spec for AICS magazines, every one of them is going to have some variance so chassis/bottom metal manufacturers have to make them accept all of the different manufacturers mags.

OP
madgrad02

madgrad02

WKR
That makes a lot of sense... figured they were all the same, though have heard issues with metal vs polymer mags. Thanks for all the feedback thusfar!