AI and the future of scammers

Food for thought.
Currently in the news, is AI, with concerns mentioned as "misinformation" and academic honesty concerns, i.e., turning in papers written by AI, AI used to pass tests...

Personally, I think they are missing the boat on how AI will, likely already has affected us, or better said, improved or will improve scammers efforts in seperating us from our hard earned dollars.

With the use of AI, we will, perhaps already are, seeing well written posts, responses, PM's, DM's... without those typical foreigner mistakes we have seen in the past. Furthermore, as AI advances, AI could be trained to be much much more effective at tricking us, manipulating us... IMNSHO, we are going to see AI used in some simular fasions in advertising, trying to get us to make purchases; after all, AI will be much cheaper than paying people.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with what you are saying and it truly scares me. I recently heard about that new ai website you can use to basically produces anything from a 5 page paper to research information in seconds. Completely nuts.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Food for thought.
Currently in the news, is AI, with concerns mentioned as "misinformation" and academic honesty concerns, i.e., turning in papers written by AI, AI used to pass tests...
Agreed. Eventually the sweat shops will get this tech.
Buy from known retailers or use a form of payment that provides buyer protection.
I think part of the problem for sellers, at least for me personally, is that we can get scammed by that buyer protection. As a result, I’ve become paranoid on my larger item sales. Were those two or three grammar/spelling mistakes innocent or because the guy is in Nigeria? If the member is new and raced to meet the 10 post minimum, and all of those posts are terse AF, is that a scammer or eager buyer? Do I want to spend time digging into some buyer’s bona fides (and share my personal info), or just say eff it and keep it, sell at a discount to someone on here I know, etc.?

MattB

WKR
Do I want to spend time digging into some buyer’s bona fides (and share my personal info), or just say eff it and keep it, sell at a discount to someone on here I know, etc.?
Or do you spend the extra $10-$50 and buy new?

Except my post was about selling
There is risk in every single thing we do and is up to the individual to find their specific tolerance.

You can always sell local, do cash only transactions only at a bank, be armed, etc. It is your choice if you want to reduce your risk of being scammed or reduce your potential profit.

The individual is the biggest threat to themselves and not some technology.

OP
B
My post was about selling
Yep, the scamming works both ways. But one of my points is that those spelling and grammer mistakes aren't there for those currently using AI, let alone down the road.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, the scamming works both ways. But one of my points is that those spelling and grammer mistakes aren't there for those currently using AI, let alone down the road.
Right. This is the problem with tangents (mine) and replies to multiple posts in one post (again, me).

I don’t think scammers on RS are using AI. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d bet on it. That could change. And the AI out there does have problems. (I heard an AI dialogue today on a podcast between two chatbots. It was good, but still clearly not real.)

@MattB separately made a point about buyers insisting on buyer protection as a solution. As you subsequently (and I - albeit in my case, apparently not well) point out, this cuts both ways. As a seller, if a new member with grammar and spelling mistakes wants buyer protection, I see two red flags as a result. I may have turned down a legit buyer or two for that reason. No way to remedy that by buying new (for me).

OP
B
I don’t think scammers on RS are using AI. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d bet on it. That could change. And the AI out there does have problems. (I heard an AI dialogue today on a podcast between two chatbots. It was good, but still clearly not real. ...
I am referring to current written AI, not AI dialoge (although some huge improvements have been made there recently).

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I am referring to current written AI, not AI dialoge (although some huge improvements have been made there recently).
Ok. Now I’m totally lost. If I’m reading a RS post, or a reply to a post, or going back and forth with PMs - is that dialogue or written AI? I have no clue what the difference is - unless you mean voice = dialogue. The problems I heard today weren’t limited to speech patterns - if that helps. The conversation used bizarre phrasing.

OP
B
Ok. Now I’m totally lost. If I’m reading a RS post, or a reply to a post, or going back and forth with PMs - is that dialogue or written AI? I have no clue what the difference is - unless you mean voice = dialogue. The problems I heard today weren’t limited to speech patterns - if that helps. The conversation used bizarre phrasing.
Dialogue is considered a conversation, as in verbal. What you listened to was very likely not the latest AI.