Aerogel sleeping bags? Anyone tried one?

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I am not affiliated whatsoever but stumbled on this kick-starter. Apologies if it's been discussed before, search didn't turn anything up. https://www.kickstarter.com/project...eping-bag-made-with-aerospace-tech?ref=8dsi5r. I have heard of this aerogel stuff before but don't have much experience. Looks like it's been done for a few years, sitka uses it and ll bean as well https://gearjunkie.com/camping/sleeping-bags/l-l-bean-aerogel-insulated-sleeping-bag I have NO idea if this is a good deal or if it's garbage, but even if the -40 claim is crap and it's actually a 0 degree bag, could be decent? Or setting the Kickstarter aside, is this a viable insulation option or does it have flaw(s)? Not sure about packability, I don't think aerogel compresses but not sure. just couldn't find any aerogel bag discussions and wanted to see if anyone out there had either real use or materials knowledge they could weigh in with. So... Bring on the memes I guess lol.

hikenhunt

WKR
Never heard of it, but seeing that the article is from 5 years ago, they are either doing an awful job at marketing their amazing product or it didn't take off because its not that great.

Chuck44

FNG
The Sitka Kelvin Aerolite 30 Sleeping Bag uses Primaloft infused with Aerogel...different application thought than a layer of Aerogel itself as insulation.

OP
T

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard of it, but seeing that the article is from 5 years ago, they are either doing an awful job at marketing their amazing product or it didn't take off because its not that great.

The Sitka Kelvin Aerolite 30 Sleeping Bag uses Primaloft infused with Aerogel...different application thought than a layer of Aerogel itself as insulation.
The combination of these two-an attempt a few years ago by an outdoors leaning brand, then a return to the tech by a definitely outdoors brand, is what makes me wonder. Perhaps the ll bean version failed because of manufacturing tech that's now been improved, I dunno. Do I trust a sub 200 dollar bag to actually be a -40 degree bag, no, but don't know enough about the tech to know if it's truly a gimmick or an emerging option

dtrkyman

WKR
I thought I remember a company touting that stuff in baselayers?

Found it, shiver shield.