Advise on a last minute archery tag

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I’ll try to keep this brief I’m sure I’ll get beat up for this post. Please feel free to just pm honey holes! Yesterday I was offered a tag that was turned back in for what I would consider a decent unit in Arizona. I had 4 points so seemed like a no brainer to dump all my hunting plans in Oregon and go to Arizona. The season starts in two weeks as I stare at three screens of OnX, Google earth and goHUNT the reality of this may be a bad idea is setting in. I’d rather not toss unit numbers on open forum. If anyone would like to exchange friendly information or tell me I’m an idiot pm would be great. I’ll be fairly center of state I’m hoping to be hunting in timbered pines. Due to my middle son being conceived during archery season scouting is out I won’t even be in the state until a few days after season starts. My main question is in a unit with very few roadless areas how do I get away from people? Any ideas for last minute escouting will be greatly appreciated to. I refuse to sit on water, I will be hunting even if that means tag soup. Giving my prepared level for this hunt any branch bull will do.

With 4 points, what do you have to lose? I think you made the right choice taking the tag and should have a fun hunt. With all the monsoon moisture, it is a GREAT year to have an AZ elk tag. Any unit could produce a monster.
Wish you the best of luck on your hunt!

Forgot to address your question-I wouldn’t be too concerned about getting away from roads if you can find/hear elk. A lot of units in AZ have tons of roads. Move until you find/hear elk and hunt them where they are. Roads can also help you locate elk by driving around after dark and listening for bugles-then start there in the morning where you are hearing elk. I think the monsoon moisture this year should also help the rut and bugling activity.

BBob

WKR
Just don’t worry about getting away from people on an AZ hunt. Just go hunt. People will be around and so will elk. Find the elk and hunt them. Yes people will move in and run them off but go find them, that’s the ticket here. The elk are used to the roads and people, they grew up with both, it’s all they know. Be ready to move, find where they are, hunt them and be ready to move again when they vacate. Wash, rinse, repeat and eventually you’ll connect. Oh and if this is a mixed terrain unit I’m not so sure I’d relegate myself solely to timbered pines.

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. We actually hunted a unit south of this one two years ago and our success seemed better getting into the timber is mainly what I was going off of for brain storming. I have a few darts at the map as it sits now. I think mobile will be our best bet for sure.

Wheels

WKR
I think you will find that the hunting pressure will be much lighter during the week and especially towards the latter end of the hunt. The one and only AZ tag I had, virtually had the place to myself by the second week. Hope you get a big one!

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks fellas. I’m thinking of taking my quad or utv just to not beat my pickup up on the rough roads anyone know the laws for off road license or tags a non res needs off hand?

dtrkyman

WKR
PM me, I know a certain unit well and if you get lucky again I can get you a head start! I sure can't draw it!

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Any AZ elk tag you can get you should go and hunt. Lots of roads being driven during season but you can find elk away from roads and close to roads in most units so I wouldn’t worry too much about the roads. Look for good elk habitat and water and then you can figure out if you need to get away from the roads or not. Good luck on the hunt and I’ll PM you and if I can help on the unit I will.

OP
Dirtscoots

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Well after two trucks we planned on taking broke down im borrowing my wife’s pickup and we are headed out Saturday to a dart on a map. Good luck to everyone out doing the same.