Advise for first time in the backcountry

mid_west

FNG
Hey guys -

First post here, although I've just about lived on this site for the past 9 months in preparation for my first DIY backpack Archery Elk hunt. So I head out to Idaho in exactly one week...after a guy has read just about everything there is to read, I have this to ask:

What am I going to forget? What am I going to do wrong? What am I going to wish I had/didn't have? What's the best piece of advice you could give a first time backpack archery elk hunter?

Thanks guys, it's been a real learning experience reading what ya'll have had to say over the past 9 months. Good luck to everybody in the coming weeks & months!

Mid_West

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I recently actually registered as well..... but from my experience I would say stay with it, because after a couple days of things not going as you've planned it's easy to get discouraged. Enjoy the solitude and challenge.

With backpack hunting I find it's more useful for me to run through my gear and refine with overnight trips. For me, the debate has gone from "what did I forget" to "do I really need that?" That's my best piece of advice, don't take too much crap in with you.

Only sure way to know is jump in and do it, and remember what works and what doesn't for next time. To answer your post directly, make sure your food is dialed and you're happy with what you're eating, it can really be morale boost.

charvey9

WKR
Welcome. If you've been lurking for 9 months, you've probably read enough gear threads to make your head spin and have made decisions on what to pack. There probably isn't much more to learn from a forum, so just a little experience will help you refine what you do or don't need on the mountain.

Other than that, just enjoy your time in the woods. Good luck!

muleman

WKR
  • Be flexible and roll with the punches. I have yet to have the perfect trip. My most memorable trips usually have a theme of overcoming some adversity.
  • If you forget something, don't let it ruin your trip. See if you have something else that can be multi-purposed. Forget your bow, bite the bullet and have it shipped overnight into the closest town.
  • Enjoy every aspect of the trip. If you see a picture you want to take-take it now. Don't set down that rare antique bottle you found thinking you'll be back that way. Chances are you will never see it again.
  • Be prepared to feel a range of emotion, especially if you are on a solo trip. Push through and you will be stronger for it.
  • Don't take unnecessary risks because you read about someone doing it on a forum. Reading on this forum has provided you a wealth of info. Yet, there is no substitution for real first-hand knowledge.
  • Have fun!

Solitude

WKR
Are you going solo or with a friend who has done this before?

Solo elk hunting first time.....stay within 2miles of the truck or you are going to kill yourself breaking down and getting an elk out the first time if you arrow one.

Going with a buddy, do large loops if possible, get up high on rig tops/glass, keep moving if you are not seeing elk. They are extremely mobile in areas I hunt....move miles typically.

Safety items, map, compass, GPS (mark truck location before you leave) and cell phone.

Regarding gear, take the minimum and leave the "I might needs" in the truck. You will appreciate a manageable light pack vs carrying saws, two canisters if fuel, etc, etc, etc

Lastly, only plan to stay in for 3 nights at a time. If you are going for a week break it up into two smaller trips IMO.

Enjoy!!!

OP
M

mid_west

FNG
Thanks for the replies guys.

Going with a friend. We've both hunted elk before, just not the DIY backpacking route. So we're not total virgins to the country. We've got an outfitter lined up to pack out anything we get lucky enough to kill.

Here's my advice that seems to work well when hunting with a buddy. When you've been in the field a bit and you're having second doubts about what to do this is what my buddy and I do. We typically break up a hunt into alternating between who is going to be shooter and who is the caller. On the days that I am the shooter I find the longer the hunt goes on the more I second guess myself and often my "tactical" decision making suffers as I second guess myself. When this happens my buddy and I agree that the caller calls the shots. It inevitably seems that for whatever reason my partner and I each find each other much more clear thinking when we don't have the pressure of being the shooter and are just acting in the capacity of caller. In these instances the caller takes on more of a role as a guide and ends up having final say on where we end up hunting and how we set up for the action. This allows for the shooter to stay a little more clear headed and not have to stress about making a bad decision. Also so he can end up blaming the caller for the missed opportunity, lol. :)

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
Always be hunting. Even when you are going to a certain "X" that you can't wait to get to for an evening rendezvous, remember, you are in the elkwoods, and as many elk are killed by chance as by plan.
Also, make it a hunting trip, not a camping/hiking trip. You'll eat, you'll sleep, but don't over indulge in camping and relaxing. I'm not saying don't enjoy your time in the mountains, but refer to my first comment. Elk tags are expensive, and the season is short, so take advantage of every second of daylight that you can, because if your served a big bowl of tag soup on your way out, you'll kick yourself if you don't/.
Good luck.
Most of all, have fun, learn something, and make some memories that will last a lifetime!!

Buckman

WKR
Chapstick and small tube sun screen for nose, damn my got burnt. Wind and sun can get ya. Take as many pics as you can, great memories. Listen to the silence. Damn I cannt wait for it to be my turn. Come on October.

Dirtbag

WKR
Always be hunting. Even when you are going to a certain "X" that you can't wait to get to for an evening rendezvous, remember, you are in the elkwoods, and as many elk are killed by chance as by plan.
QUOTE]

This is huge IMO. even when your taking a break, eating lunch or whatever, make sure your in an elkish area. Take your breaks in saddles, travel routes or dark timber, and spend the mid day down time sitting over a wallow. Always be hunting, it can happen at almost anytime but it doesnt when your chillin in the tent.

This is huge IMO. even when your taking a break, eating lunch or whatever, make sure your in an elkish area. Take your breaks in saddles, travel routes or dark timber, and spend the mid day down time sitting over a wallow. Always be hunting, it can happen at almost anytime but it doesnt when your chillin in the tent.

Triple that thought!

View attachment 18328

I'm just a Midwesterner from WI, and...
She was taken in the middle of breakfast (cereal in hand) last year, while nestled along a travel route.

Last edited:

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overlook your water situation. This year already my hunting partner and I were relegated to filtering water underneath a giant boulder in the shade where we were hunting bear in Washington state. I was really glad I brought a giant msr dromedary with me to store extra water. Otherwise it was 500 feet down and 500 feet up to our nearest water source. I may be a unique case but I sweat an unbelievable amount and I require at least a gallon of water per day when I'm working hard....just a thought that may not pertain to you though. Good luck, Dustin

Always stay in the game mentally until the last possible hunting min. A lapse in focus cost me a bull at 12 yards last year on the last day. My bow was sitting up against a tree instead of in my hand.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Always pay attention to the wind direction. This is one Im sure a few of us have slipped on and it cost us. And this goes along with what was said about "Always be hunting" When Im hiking in Im taking slow methodical steps paying attention to each step so that I dont break any branches and spook something. Im constantly focusing on my travel movement and the wind at the same time. I try and think like my quarry and plan my approach based on where I think I would be if I was wanting to stay hidden. Then I take my time getting to where I want to go on the map. One last thing that has been really hard for me is to stop and listen. The silence can be golden at times. Youd be amazed at what you hear when you just stop and listen. Those would be my pointers Ive learned valuable lessons of the last 2 years Ive been hunting.