Advice needed for WY elk for my wife

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
How big are we talking? 300"? Or 330"? That would vastly change my recommendation.
My biggest is only 305”. If it’s an archery hunt, I doubt she passes any bull in range. She’s come close with a bow but never put it all together.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion, I think one has a better shot at killing one big bull (within reason, 300"+) on two general tag hunts than on one limited entry hunt. By that logic I think I'd always choose to hunt more often than hold out for a 'better' tag. At least in Wyoming.
I don’t disagree with this and in most states, my goal is to hunt more often than to hold out for the top unit. I’ll do the same in WY and draw (hopefully) a good unit with 10-11 pts vs holding out for max several yrs later. After that, it’ll prob be a general unit every time I can draw it.

If the special price increase passes who knows what it will do to the regular draw. I don't think there will be any way to predict how many folks with points will put in for draw this year...
Nothing will happen to the odds in the regular. If you don’t have enough points for that you have no choice but to apply in the special. If you don’t have the points but apply in the regular anyway the only thing it affects is the random drawing. But if that’s the case and guys really want to hunt their odds are better in the special random so they’d pay the price and hope to get lucky.

I enjoy listening to all the speculation about the price increases and a 90/10 split… burn those points and walk away people! Lol

sharpbb14

FNG
Apply special tag in . There is some decent bulls in there and she will see a lot of elk. It might not be 100% draw, but it will get her close enough

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: WAB

sharpbb14

FNG
Well, it might have until you told the rest of the internet...
I can add some specific creeks and hill sides if that helps you with the feelings you are having about me right now. The point creep is gonna sky rocket this year anyways with the legislative proposals and randy newberg pulling the "BURN YOUR POINTS, BURN YOUR POINTS, BURN YOUR POINTS!!!" video. My 1 little sentence is not gonna be the cause of it exploding.

Jon Boy

WKR
I can add some specific creeks and hill sides if that helps you with the feelings you are having about me right now. The point creep is gonna sky rocket this year anyways with the legislative proposals and randy newberg pulling the "BURN YOUR POINTS, BURN YOUR POINTS, BURN YOUR POINTS!!!" video. My 1 little sentence is not gonna be the cause of it exploding.
You'd be surprised how many hundreds of guys are lurking this forum lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
Doesn't bother me a bit- just feel sorry for the people planning to hunt there. You might be surprised how many people are searching for a middle tier unit to use their 6-10 points on and how much impact a simple post can have.

My biggest is only 305”.
300" is a big bull, don't let anyone tell you different. Not easy to kill a bull like that on a general tag even for very experienced hunters/archers. The unit suggested earlier is a solid choice. One of the Rokstaff hunted it a few years back and shot a nice bull. Good genetics there. Lot of 'tubers have killed bulls in that mountain range recently so better get in before all the fanboys.

Jon Boy

WKR
Doesn't bother me a bit- just feel sorry for the people planning to hunt there. You might be surprised how many people are searching for a middle tier unit to use their 6-10 points on and how much impact a simple post can have.
This. People have no idea what they're doing lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nothing will happen to the odds in the regular. If you don’t have enough points for that you have no choice but to apply in the special. If you don’t have the points but apply in the regular anyway the only thing it affects is the random drawing. But if that’s the case and guys really want to hunt their odds are better in the special random so they’d pay the price and hope to get lucky.

I enjoy listening to all the speculation about the price increases and a 90/10 split… burn those points and walk away people! Lol
You don't think the price change in the special will cause any point creep in the regular, not even for the 1st year? I think a lot of PP holders will give up on "the tag" in the special and settle for a tag in regular...I dont think it will be every unit...but I could see a couple 5/6 pp units last year being 8/9 or more pp units this year.

You don't think the price change in the special will cause any point creep in the regular, not even for the 1st year? I think a lot of PP holders will give up on "the tag" in the special and settle for a tag in regular...I dont think it will be every unit...but I could see a couple 5/6 pp units last year being 8/9 or more pp units this year.
I see. I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about general licenses. I totally agree with you on that. Sorry about that.

Last edited: