Adjustable Cheek Piece Installation

TacT-MecH

FNG
Just wanted to share a project I did on my CZ 457 MTR.

I was on the fence about a chassis or modifying the MTR stock. I wanted to save a little coin, so I decided to try to install an adjustable cheek piece myself. I found a seller in Lithuania (weird, right?) on Ebae selling the kit for $40 (at the time).
I found the center line of the stock, made a cardboard template of the shape and trace around it to help visualize the profile.
I drank 3 cans of liquid courage and let the surgery begin. I used a coping saw to cut the angles and a Japanese flush cut saw for the straights. I milled the pockets on the cheekpiece and stock on a bridgeport. The cut portions of the stock were coated with tung oil and matched the factory finish pretty well.
I also made some cuts of the right, bottom and left sides of the stock forend for some Mlok inserts to mount my bipod and any other accessories to make the stock more "chassis-esuqe".

20210718_090939.jpg
20210718_091538.jpg
20210718_092729.jpg
20210805_184620.jpg

20210805_184639.jpg
20210805_184614.jpg
20210805_185307.jpg

NOICE.

I'll be trying my hand at doing this one day this week for my custom 7SAUM. My plan was to hollow out the stock using a forsner bit and clean up with a router. Black epoxy the cheek piece mounting block in once the dry fit looks good

OP
TacT-MecH

TacT-MecH

FNG
NOICE.

I'll be trying my hand at doing this one day this week for my custom 7SAUM. My plan was to hollow out the stock using a forsner bit and clean up with a router. Black epoxy the cheek piece mounting block in once the dry fit looks good
What hardware kit are you going to use? The one I used is "unavailable". I considered making my own but there is a decent looking kit on eBay for under $70.

OP
TacT-MecH

TacT-MecH

FNG
Great job. Think I may try the Atlasworx. Kind of scared to make the cuts!
You can do it!!! Just find a stock/chassis you like beforehand just in case things go south, lol. I live near KC so If things went sideways I was going to run down to Manners (MCS) and pick a stock up in North town.

Just wanted to share a project I did on my CZ 457 MTR.

I was on the fence about a chassis or modifying the MTR stock. I wanted to save a little coin, so I decided to try to install an adjustable cheek piece myself. I found a seller in Lithuania (weird, right?) on Ebae selling the kit for $40 (at the time).
I found the center line of the stock, made a cardboard template of the shape and trace around it to help visualize the profile.
I drank 3 cans of liquid courage and let the surgery begin. I used a coping saw to cut the angles and a Japanese flush cut saw for the straights. I milled the pockets on the cheekpiece and stock on a bridgeport. The cut portions of the stock were coated with tung oil and matched the factory finish pretty well.
I also made some cuts of the right, bottom and left sides of the stock forend for some Mlok inserts to mount my bipod and any other accessories to make the stock more "chassis-esuqe".

View attachment 499396
View attachment 499395
View attachment 499394
View attachment 499391

View attachment 499393
View attachment 499390
View attachment 499392
Do you have any pictures of how you inletted down in the stock? Does any of the hardware come with instructions? I like to really check something out before I try to do it. Also,The more pictures the better and that really looks good. Just don’t know if I have the gonads to cut on a nice stock..

OP
TacT-MecH

TacT-MecH

FNG
Do you have any pictures of how you inletted down in the stock? Does any of the hardware come with instructions? I like to really check something out before I try to do it. Also,The more pictures the better and that really looks good. Just don’t know if I have the gonads to cut on a nice stock..
Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures when I inletted the stock. First thing I did after cutting the cheekpiece out was find the center line of the stock again. Then I laid out where the hardware was going to go on blue painters tape (that way if I needed to make alterations to my lay out I could peel it off and start over. I used this throughout the whole project.). Then I put it in the Bridgeport and went to work with an end mill. I made sure to draw out my cut paths, depths and lengths on a piece of paper so all I had to do was follow my DRO.
There were no instructions with the kit that I purchased but a more expensive one may include them. It's pretty straight forward. I did the project about 10x in my mind before I ever made a cut.

OP
TacT-MecH

TacT-MecH

FNG
@Lone Hunter 1 , When the hardware becomes available again, I will be doing this project again on a Grayboe Renegade and I'll make sure to take pictures throughout or maybe make a video. I made a series of tutorial videos for assembling ARs on my YT channel last year. I'll have to time lapse this one though, lol

@Lone Hunter 1 , When the hardware becomes available again, I will be doing this project again on a Grayboe Renegade and I'll make sure to take pictures throughout or maybe make a video. I made a series of tutorial videos for assembling ARs on my YT channel last year. I'll have to time lapse this one though, lol
Thank You, Maybe by then I will grow a pair and try it myself. I have always learned by watching and listening.

Great work - looks very pro.

For anyone who is using Loggerhead (or manners / foundation) I’ve been swapping these in. Beats finding the hex when cleaning or boresighting.