Adding to Tent Collection - 1 Man Backpacking Shelter

DJG1994

FNG
Looking to upgrade my old backpacking tent and would like suggestions on what you would purchase next. I'm not looking for a one size fits all option, as I'm adding additional shelters to my arsenal over time that can fit all different use cases.

My home state is Arizona, but I frequently get up to Kodiak, Idaho, and Montana. I'm running a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 for truck hunting, and if I need to camp out on an animal, I have a DST Tarp and Borah Bivy (primarily used in AZ). I also use my Kodiak Canvas as a base camp and use my old 1990s backpacking tent for 2-3 day treks at a time.

Options I'm looking at include the Hilleberg Soulo, some of the Seek Outside tents (they just teased a prototype for a lightweight shelter with a built-in floor, which I value in the desert), and Tarp Tent options like the StratoSphire LI.

Knowing I'm eventually going to get a bomber like the Soulo, would you get that next? Or would you get an ultralightweight option as the next shelter to add to the arsenal?

Ten Bears

WKR
Looking to upgrade my old backpacking tent and would like suggestions on what you would purchase next. I'm not looking for a one size fits all option, as I'm adding additional shelters to my arsenal over time that can fit all different use cases.

My home state is Arizona, but I frequently get up to Kodiak, Idaho, and Montana. I'm running a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 for truck hunting, and if I need to camp out on an animal, I have a DST Tarp and Borah Bivy (primarily used in AZ). I also use my Kodiak Canvas as a base camp and use my old 1990s backpacking tent for 2-3 day treks at a time.

Options I'm looking at include the Hilleberg Soulo, some of the Seek Outside tents (they just teased a prototype for a lightweight shelter with a built-in floor, which I value in the desert), and Tarp Tent options like the StratoSphire LI.

Knowing I'm eventually going to get a bomber like the Soulo, would you get that next? Or would you get an ultralightweight option as the next shelter to add to the arsenal?

You are on the right path. Hilleberg if you want total bomber 1-man.

Take a look at the Durston X Mid Pro 1 man for ultralight. Solid tent.

Also use a DST/bivy and recently picked up a Durston x-mid 2P solid. Haven’t taken into the field yet but setup is easy and I’ve been impressed with the build quality for the price.

If you’re gonna add a heavy duty tent like a Soulo down the road, I would be looking at something light. If you have the coin to spend, dyneema is great for weight savings

I have been pretTy happy with my zpacks tents. They dont have monster vestibules or tons of room but I can get a two person tent for a lower total weight than a conventional 1P.

I picked up a non dyneema durston. I don’t have enough use with it to opine on durability but their reputation is solid and the build quality is impressive. The design. Is excellent and the setup is very solid. Tons of room. I like the option of being able to run it with and without the nest. I could see this becoming my go to solo tent. very reasonable price.

OP
DJG1994

DJG1994

FNG
Thanks everyone for the input.

I'll definitely be adding the Durston X-Mid to my list of lightweight options.

Here is the new Seek Outside shelter I was referring to:

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone for the input.

I'll definitely be adding the Durston X-Mid to my list of lightweight options.

Here is the new Seek Outside shelter I was referring to:

I saw that tent at the expo and will be giving it a review this spring. If I remember correctly the shelter may get a few minor tweaks before final production. I hope to put it to use this upcoming bear season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk