Accuracy after Replacing Bottom Metal on Tikka T3x

Dogman-K

FNG
I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing the bottom metal on my factory stock T3X. I know there are advantages other than accuracy BUT I am curious if you experienced an improvement in accuracy that can be attributed to replacing the plastic with a “real“ metal version? When it was all said and done, was it worth the money?

hiker270

WKR
I hope more people had better luck with Mountain Tactical Tikka OEM bottom metal than I did. I purchased the bottom metal and a billet magazine and the bottom metal wasn't even close to a fit for my stock. I had to grind off metal with a dremel tool to get it to fit up in the stock. Finally got it to fit but neither the factory Tikka magazine or the Billet one would latch correctly in the bottom metal. Gave up and put the plastic one back and both magazines worked just fine. I'm sure many Tikka owners swear by the metal ones but I had no luck.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
What are the advantages? How would metal bottom metal affect accuracy? Does someone think metal bottom metal transfers recoil loading to the stock better than the factory polymer bottom "metal"?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have aftermarket bottom metal on all 3 of my tikkas. High Desert on my 30-06, mountain tactical on my 6.5 creedmoor and t1x 22lr.

None of them, required any sort of shimming or fitting, they were all pure drop in. I dont think there was an accuracy improvement but the shape of the mountain tactical ones makes it easier when I wear a glove which I do sometimes in the winter. If I was doing it again, Id get mountain tactical over high desert but they are all ok. If you are looking to improve accuracy, look elsewhere. Also, I believe the factory plastic is lighter than any of the aftermarket ones.

Gila

WKR
MT is a perfect fit...just put the trigger guard end in first then snap-in the forward end. The mag button is stainless and larger....much more positive mag insertion and release. Can’t say about increasing accuracy over the plastic as I replaced the bottom metal when I took it out of the box....certainly won’t be less accurate. Don’t over torque though. Some bottom metal makers suggest 32....which shot accurate, but now I torque to 38 with the MT. Well worth the money IMO.

davsco

WKR
not a 'smith but not seeing how different bottom "metal" would affect accuracy. now it might help with feeding (or hurt i guess depending on the fit). i have a couple of tikka's and just ordered another and have no issues with the factory bottom 'metal' and mags.

OP
D

Dogman-K

FNG
It seems that the consensus is what I suspected. Mountain Tactical advertises that "some" users report improved accuracy and kinda infer that it makes the stock more rigid. I was pretty skeptical due to the wording and logic.

Gila

WKR
What are the advantages? How would metal bottom metal affect accuracy? Does someone think metal bottom metal transfers recoil loading to the stock better than the factory polymer bottom "metal"?
I think there is a better distribution of force to hold the action in place better. But I don’t know how someone could prove that. The recoil lug sits in the stock.

I used a MT and found accuracy slightly decreased and the mag did not sit as snug on factory stock.

On a rigid aftermarket stock worked perfect.

Just installed the MT aics dbm and its very obvious they didnt intend on anybody using 5 round mags with it. Not to happy right now

BigSky

WKR
I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing the bottom metal on my factory stock T3X. I know there are advantages other than accuracy BUT I am curious if you experienced an improvement in accuracy that can be attributed to replacing the plastic with a “real“ metal version? When it was all said and done, was it worth the money?
I have had High Desert and Mountain Tactical. They had no affect on accuracy. No, they are not worth the money in my opinion. The factory polymer is extremely strong and is lighter. If the ones I had did not come on used rifles, I would never have bought them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have had High Desert and Mountain Tactical. They had no affect on accuracy. No, they are not worth the money in my opinion. The factory polymer is extremely strong and is lighter. If the ones I had did not come on used rifles, I would never have bought them.
The magazine retention seems better with the aftermarket bottom metals to me but that’s about it. I have 3 tikkas and I couldn’t leave good enough alone and put aftermarket bottom metal on all of them.