Accessing Public Land via dirt road that crosses gap b/w road and public

manitou1

WKR
I appreciate the advice. I'll be careful (if I draw a tag!)

I used to metal detect as a hobby a fair bit. I was very honest about making sure I had permission then as well. It is my nature.

I could see where someone (even me?) would be tempted, if having put so much effort and money into a trip, and finding oneself in the middle of a vast expanse of Wyoming, with no one around...
Oh, I would never assume no one is around.
#1: Game wardens set up on hills with spotting scopes and can see for miles.
#2: Most ranchers know exactly when the season dates are in their area and they watch their boundaries closely. Some are pretty bitter due to inconsiderate (or sometimes just unknowing) hunters tresspassing on their place year after year.

jimh406

WKR
Whenever I see a road like that I always wonder how it came to be. It starts from a clearly public road (county road or state highway). It crosses private and then enters public land and continues on public, sometimes for miles. If it is a private road, then who built it onto public? If it is truly a private road, then I guess we have to assume that the private landowner illegally extended his road onto public land. And if that is the case, then why aren't these private land owners being prosecuted for illegally building roads on public land?

Obviously, the patch work checkerboard property lines all over the US don't make sense unless you read the property descriptions. It could be as simple as they have a grandfathered easement to allow the government to purchase the property. If they haven't been prosecuted, it could be they have a right to use the land or they know the right people.

There's no sense spending a lot time worrying about it when there are other places to hunt. Well, unless you like worrying about it.