About to pull trigger on Argali Absaroka, any last second warnings?

dtchhuntr

FNG
I've been researching a bunch to find what best fits my criteria versus what other guys might need and think I have a final choice that checks most the boxes. Here is what I'm trying to do:

1. Lighter the better, but still needs to stand up to some high wind that might come along. I was hoping for 5 lbs or less, and the full systems is going to come in closer to 6. I could probably lose 15 pounds myself and help out a bit...
2. Two person capable, and we both run wide pads because we are old and decrepit.
3. Hot stove capable a plus, but I'm new to this and haven't ever actually ran a stove ever. So it doesn't necessarily HAVE to have stove jack.
4. My hunting buddy has a beast of a Hilleberg that we plan on putting up 3 or 4 miles in. I'd love to use mine in case we want to chase from that camp site and pitch rather than coming all the way back if we have eyes on something. The Argali puts the liner and tent in different bags, so we could split between us at 2 pounds each roughly. I know we could tarp and bivy but not sure about that one.
5. Yes, we are running a liner unless winter and then the stove.
6. Lack of vestibules kind of stinks, but hoping enough room for gear in liner unless muddy, and then could pair sheep tarp on outside maybe?

Other contender was Cloudburst 3 (giving up stove jack entirely) or Scarp 2 but then I saw a video on Youtube of the scarp ripping in high wind and got nervous. Looked at SO Guardian, Ultamid, Skyscraper 2, Peax (which got nixed due to a lot of good info on this site), and Durston (too small for us).

What else am I missing here before diving in? I fully recognize I'm a rookie at backpack hunting, with only one bear hunt under the belt from last season. How about wind on the Argali? Price isn't as big of a concern if it holds up. I'm a buy once, cry once when possible. Then again, I'm Dutch so I also cry when the store doesn't take back my brand of pop for the nickel redemption. ;)

TIA

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a 5 day bear trip with the Argali tipi. It did really well. We (2 people in the tent) don’t run an inner, just the floorless tipi. Had 25+ mph gusts multiple times, and rain everyday. With all the guylines (6 total), the tent was rock solid in the wind. I have a lot of confidence in it going forward. Only note: the stakes it comes with are garbage in my opinion. I run a mix of 8-inch Easton stakes and regular msr groundhogs.

OP
D

dtchhuntr

FNG
I just got back from a 5 day bear trip with the Argali tipi. It did really well. We (2 people in the tent) don’t run an inner, just the floorless tipi. Had 25+ mph gusts multiple times, and rain everyday. With all the guylines (6 total), the tent was rock solid in the wind. I have a lot of confidence in it going forward. Only note: the stakes it comes with are garbage in my opinion. I run a mix of 8-inch Easton stakes and regular msr groundhogs.
Did you use trekking poles or the carbon pole in center? Thanks for responding also

Have you looked at Cimarron as well? I haven’t tried Argali just handled one (looks nice) but lots of happy Cimarron users on here. The Cimarron is 30D I believe and you can get the regular or light model even a dyneema version along with many nest options. I have handled the argali pole and Cimarron pole. Seek pole was lighter and seemed higher quality and should be since they are more expensive. For what it’s worth most Seek products I’ve used come right in for weight as listed online. The Eolus is also an interesting option and supposedly they are releasing a newer 2P shelter with sewn in floor in the summer.

OP
D

dtchhuntr

FNG
Have you looked at Cimarron as well? I haven’t tried Argali just handled one (looks nice) but lots of happy Cimarron users on here. The Cimarron is 30D I believe and you can get the regular or light model even a dyneema version along with many nest options. I have handled the argali pole and Cimarron pole. Seek pole was lighter and seemed higher quality and should be since they are more expensive. For what it’s worth most Seek products I’ve used come right in for weight as listed online. The Eolus is also an interesting option and supposedly they are releasing a newer 2P shelter with sewn in floor in the summer.

Hmm, I wonder if I want to risk waiting until the summer in case the supply line gums up again or not. I have looked at the Cimmarron quite a bit. The reg version seems like I would be looking at 6 pounds 12 oz, which is higher than I want to be. The Dyneema version looks like 5lbs 11 oz. And thats without either one using the liner I think, a full liner takes it to almost 7 pounds. That nest is certainly heavy. But I'm sure they are popular for a reason clearly.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the argali recently and I’m liking it a lot so far. No backcountry trips with it yet but I’ve pitched it quite a few times in the backyard and there’s more than enough room for two guys and gear. If you’re running the insert and want somewhat of a vestibule you can loosen the line tie on one side and put your stuff there. I pitched it fully guyed out before a wind advisory here and hung out in it a bit just to check it out. Seems pretty solid to me

pugwylde

FNG
I wanted to love their stakes, but I have to agree. I bent the first one just testing it in my yard. Swapped them all out with MSR groundhogs and everything is rock solid.

pugwylde

FNG
Agree with rcb, I'd carry one or the other, not both. The bar camp idea usually just means more stuff to carry, and more miles. Go with camp on your back and you'll always be ready for what the hunt throws at you, without worrying about getting back to camp.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an argali absaroka and have been very happy with it. I replaced my stakes with msr groundhogs . 5 trips with the wife and 2 dogs this spring and 2 of them in the rain and wind and everything has been great. I’m using the argali pole.