Aadland flip up covers on SWFA 3-9x - clearance issue

fwafwow

WKR
Anyone use these flip up covers on a SWFA 3-9x?

I have mounted my SWFA 3-9x on my Sako S20. I added an Aadland throw lever (which works great) and was trying to add my new Aadland flip up scope covers, but there isn't enough clearance on the objective end. The scope cover is around 0.10" and it looks like I've only got about 0.06" of clearance. I've mounted the scope with Seekins low (0.82") rings and expect I'm going to have to get slightly taller rings. Does anyone have this setup, and if so, what are you using for rings? I've also got a set of Hawkins low rings (0.885") and the extra 0.065" would probably suffice - BUT they were previously used to mount a NF 3-10x SHV (currently undergoing drop testing) on another rifle - which also wear a set of Aadland flip up caps.

I also have Aadland flip up caps on my 6X which is on my RSS and that is mounted with UM Tikka rings (the lows are 1.05" and leave lots of space - see below), so I suspect one solution might be to swap for the UM Premier rings, but I'm not sure the 0.885" would give me enough room. I think so, but it would be great to hear from someone who has done this.IMG_1016.jpegIMG_1017.jpeg

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks like a product of your barrel contour being bigger on the other gun.

You need higher rings if you want to run those caps.

Aadland caps are the best

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Looks like a product of your barrel contour being bigger on the other gun.

You need higher rings if you want to run those caps.

Aadland caps are the best
Yeah. The pictures are not a good comparison, as the UM Tikka "low" rings are 1.05" and the Seekins rings currently on the S20 are 0.82". I emailed Aadland to see if Jon has any feedback. Although I imagine the UM Premier rings are as good as or better than the Seekins, I'd still need to figure out if the 0.885" would work for the Premier.