A scary day in the elk woods

Venom One

WKR
Early Archery Elk Season - WA State - 2022

On morning of the 3rd day of archery elk, I ran into some very fresh droppings in an area I'm pretty familiar with. It was around 10 am, so after determining their direction of travel, I felt pretty sure I knew (generally) where they were going to bed. I decided to eat some lunch and wait until early or mid-afternoon before making a move.

About 11am a couple guys started target shooting at a nearby quarry. It didn’t concern me too much as I didn’t anticipate it would bother the elk. My only hope was that they didn’t stay too long.

Around 1pm, a major headache rolled in that would last for the next several hours. It was a constant dull throb with waves of nausea, stabbing eye-stars and dry heaving. I tried to wait it out – thought about leaving, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity; and by 2pm, it was time to go.

Within 30 min I had reached my calling point, but unfortunately, the guys were still shooting. I was hoping to avoid calling with them around to avoid piquing their interest in elk, but I didn’t want to wait any longer. I started calling, knowing they could easily hear me. Over the next 2+ hrs, I called, but got no response. Around 4:30, the shooting stopped, but I didn’t hear any vehicles leave. By around 5, I was starting to doubt that the elk were even there and was considering leaving, when I suddenly got the faintest reply. Excitement surged knowing it wasn’t a wasted day and my hunch had been correct. I continued calling for a little while - hoping to bring them to me - knowing that I had little chance of approaching them in the PNW woods.

After 20-30 min, I reluctantly accepted that they weren’t going to come to me so I’d have to move. I had my decoy with me and thought it might give me a chance. I closed about ½ of estimated distance fairly quickly, then slowed to a crawl. My head was still killing me, and it became even more frustrating when I tried to use my binos. The 10x magnification quickly exposed the tiny shakes in my hands caused by the throbbing. The whole forest seemed to vibrate.

One or two steps at a time, I slowly made my way down, eventually finding a tore up trail that indicated their travel route. I continued until coming to a 30” diameter tree laying across the trail. The tingly senses told me I was very close and the little voice in my head said, “as soon as you step over that tree, it’s game over.” So there I am, crouched behind the fallen tree and behind my decoy – searching, looking, squinting – seeing nothing. Give the binos another try – damn it – freaking useless! SOB.

What do I do now? As I’m contemplating my next move, the forest is quiet, my brain is very reluctant to participate in thought processes – then, <BANG>. The crack of a gun reverberates through the forest from my front, right. It startles the crap out of me – it was really close (maybe 60 yards) and I obviously had no idea anyone was that close. I’m freaking out – I have a damn elk decoy in front of me. I slam it to the ground, duck down behind the tree and search for the source. I can’t see anyone; try the binos – of course it’s useless. Start eyeballing every tree, stump, brush clump, etc that is big enough to hide a person – nothing. Dammit.

It quickly becomes clear that the target shooters from earlier have made their way over after hearing my elk calls and that explains why I never heard a vehicle leave. I’d completely forgot about them as my focus was totally on the stalk. Thinking about the shot, I didn’t hear the round hit near me or go whizzing past me so apparently they weren’t shooting at me, but that knowledge was of little comfort. Knowing I was hidden behind a decoy for the past 45 min, while a person with a gun was moving in from the other side is a very sobering – no terrifying – realization.

I spent the next 15 min trying to decide what to do while dealing with a flood of emotions – terror, gratefulness, anger, frustration, pain, more anger. Where are they? Why can’t I see them? I know they’re really close. Why? Why did they shoot? Were they trying to scare me off? Were they frustrated? They had to cross a creek so they were probably wet and uncomfortable. But still, why shoot? Why? Can they see me? What’s their plan? What’s their motive?

Lots of questions and no answers, but my only real option was to back out. Advancing with the decoy now was a big no-go. And without it success was pretty much 0%. Not to mention, advancing with a person who’s already fired a shot and who’s intentions are unclear would be really dumb. So I grabbed my stuff and got the heck out of there. I tried to catch them, but I had to make a 4 mile loop and they slipped out before I got to the road they were on. In hindsight, that was probably better for all involved. I reported the incident to Fish and Wildlife, but without a vehicle description, it’s just a report.

I’m incredibly thankful they didn’t just blast away when they saw an “elk” moving through the woods.

What a day….unsuccessful, thwarted, and yet so very, very fortunate.

Major experience to deal with!
Unforgettable. With it being archery season, they tried to get in some trouble. Had you been shot, they would be in a huge pile of trouble.
Do you keep first aid supplies in you?

rclouse79

WKR
I assume there were no big game rifle seasons open, with it being archery? Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your head?
This story is why I spend a decent amount of effort to get away from other hunters. Even pleasant encounters with someone in the area you want to hunt suck. Glad you didn’t get shot.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
To bad you had to deal with such aholes. I'll go out on on branch here and say, had you walked into their camp you would have found the area littered with beer cans and broken liquor bottles, along with many empty bullet casings. I take it you looked over you decoy for evidence of bullet holes. Am I correct in saying you suffer from migraines headaches.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Major experience to deal with!
Unforgettable. With it being archery season, they tried to get in some trouble. Had you been shot, they would be in a huge pile of trouble.
Do you keep first aid supplies in you?
Yes, definitely carry a 1st aid kit with a tourniquet. I've never needed it so far.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
I assume there were no big game rifle seasons open, with it being archery? Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your head?
This story is why I spend a decent amount of effort to get away from other hunters. Even pleasant encounters with someone in the area you want to hunt suck. Glad you didn’t get shot.
Yes, there were no rifle seasons open at the time.

Not sure what caused the headache. Fortunately I rarely get them, but that one really sucked.

Agree on getting away from people, but it's tough.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
To bad you had to deal with such aholes. I'll go out on on branch here and say, had you walked into their camp you would have found the area littered with beer cans and broken liquor bottles, along with many empty bullet casings. I take it you looked over you decoy for evidence of bullet holes. Am I correct in saying you suffer from migraines headaches.
I bet you're right on the type of people they are.

I didn't look at my decoy, but I didn't hear the crack of a bullet passing close so I don't think they shot at me. I think it was purely to get me out of there.

Fortunately I don't get migraines. A headache is very rare for me so that one was an unpleasant surprise, at a really inopportune time.

Any chamce upu were having an episode of altitude cerebral edema? Were hou at altitude hogh enough (8000+) to cause something like that?

Amazing you were not hit. Poachers be poachers and they must have thought you were either an elk and they were bad shots, or they thought you were in “their” place and shot just to warn you. Glad you weren’t hit

FLATHEAD

WKR
I stopped Turkey hunting for quite a while after something like that happened.
They didnt shoot, but I kept hearing something inching up behind me.
Looked around to see a teenage kid putting the stalk on me.
Heck with that.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
Any chamce upu were having an episode of altitude cerebral edema? Were hou at altitude hogh enough (8000+) to cause something like that?

Amazing you were not hit. Poachers be poachers and they must have thought you were either an elk and they were bad shots, or they thought you were in “their” place and shot just to warn you. Glad you weren’t hit
Not a bad thought, but it was <1500 ft so not applicable in this situation.

The benefit of hindsight has convinced me that they weren't trying to cause harm, but wanted me to out of there.

Magua

FNG
Thats scary. When we were kids, my brother and I went squirrel hunting together. As we were walking out of the woods, i felt the whiz and crack of .22 bullets zipping by our heads. I didnt realize what was going on until i looked 20 feet ahead and saw a flock of turkeys and then just behind that was a guy shooting them out his truck window.... poaching nonetheless.

I grabbed my brother, we hit the deck and must have yelled every obscenity in the english language. Its a really confusing and terrifying situation to be in. You don't know whether to yell, shoot back, or just stay put with your head down. Thank god we weren't hurt.

Another time I was with some new hunters in a new group. I was sitting on the dirt and spotted a doe coming my way. I raised my rifle and saw a little speck of orange behind the doe. Somehow the new hunters made their way over to my side of the forest just as a whitetail was crossing in front of us. We were all in orange and yet they still didn't see me. The guy raises his rifle just as the doe eclipsed between us and i had just enough time to jump under a rotten tree. BOOM. I looked up to see the exit wound on the deer as blood poured out. That easily could have been me. I don't hunt with them anymore.

Thats 20 years of hunting and 2 major incidence. We try our best to be careful, still you never know.

I had an experience like this back when Utah let you target shoot on the West side of Utah lake. I was walking back after doing a run and gun course I set up and suddenly heard a strange WHOOSH sound. I ducked down by a knoll and heard it a few more times. Apparently some guys were shooting clays against the hill and the shot was going up over my head since I was on the hill over the knoll above them. I am at a point now where unless its a designated quarry or something its best to just shoot at the range.

f16jack

WKR
I had a similar experience in Western Idaho. Two of us had permission to hunt private land, and the landowner clearly showed us the boundaries. I went in from one side, and my buddy from the other, planning to meet in the middle.
As I entered the adjacent landowner, across a small stream, started yelling at me to stay off his land. This is while I was standing in the driveway of my host.
He was insistent and irate.
As I went to the middle of the property, on a slope face, the neighbor put an ATV on the road above the property, and a spotter with binocs below, trying to track our every move. Eventually he produced a rifle and let loose a round.
We believed we were being shot at, at least to scare us away.
We were in camo with no orange (not req in Idaho), and successfully hid in the foliage. We waited for hours and then slipped out.
Our host and we contacted the Sheriff and the bad actor was a known quantity, with a history of violent interactions. We departed and never returned to that area.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had a similar experience in Western Idaho. Two of us had permission to hunt private land, and the landowner clearly showed us the boundaries. I went in from one side, and my buddy from the other, planning to meet in the middle.
As I entered the adjacent landowner, across a small stream, started yelling at me to stay off his land. This is while I was standing in the driveway of my host.
He was insistent and irate.
As I went to the middle of the property, on a slope face, the neighbor put an ATV on the road above the property, and a spotter with binocs below, trying to track our every move. Eventually he produced a rifle and let loose a round.
We believed we were being shot at, at least to scare us away.
We were in camo with no orange (not req in Idaho), and successfully hid in the foliage. We waited for hours and then slipped out.
Our host and we contacted the Sheriff and the bad actor was a known quantity, with a history of violent interactions. We departed and never returned to that area.
Most states have hunter harassment laws. If he is a know problem he should have charges filed against him.

f16jack

WKR
Most states have hunter harassment laws. If he is a know problem he should have charges filed against him.
Yep. It was a question of whether or not I wanted to engage with a meth addled violent person. I placed my report with the Sheriff and asked him to simply add it his other reports on the individual. It wasn't worth the risk to me to pursue this. They already know about this guy.

I have orange on my decoys, and I would be hesitant to hide behind them. I used to, until I really thought about the associated risks. Sounds like probably not hunters, but if they were poachers, it might at least clue them in that they weren't shooting at an elk. Lucky you were ok, scary day it sounds like.

ezwy

FNG
Just takes the fun right out of it. That's the worst when you go out to de-stress and the opposite happens.

OP
V

Venom One

WKR
I have orange on my decoys, and I would be hesitant to hide behind them. I used to, until I really thought about the associated risks. Sounds like probably not hunters, but if they were poachers, it might at least clue them in that they weren't shooting at an elk. Lucky you were ok, scary day it sounds like.

Orange on the decoy isn't a bad idea. I might do that.