A new rifle and a few questions

tony

WKR
I've got my calibers narrowed down
7mm-08
30-06
280 Ackley

280 is my top choice as I think it would cover all I ever plan to do.
Ammo and rifles are the big ones, as in finding them. I know I can order the gun and ammo but, ammo is pricey. Reloading I want to do, but components (primers) are scarce.
From what I've read I can do what I want with the 7mm-08, deer, black bears, hogs and elk. I know elk will require a heavy bullet choice.
That brings me to the main question: Twist Rate?
A recent Joseph Von Benedikt podcast, he covered 7mm cartridges and said to look for 1-8 to 1-8.5 twist rates to stabilize heavy bullets.
I cannot find either in a factory rifle, closet is 1-9 in a Christenson and it has a long barrel, I think 24". Planned a suppressor at some point.
So any recommendations? I really don't want to spend thousands to have one made. Fierce has some in 1-8 twist that are at the upper limit of my price range. I read a few comments here about the customer service being lacking though?

My other rifles are a 6.5 CM. .270 and 2 .45/70's.
Thanks all!

Forest

WKR
Don't quote me on this but I beleive the new brownings have a 8.5 twist. Love my older brownings and the new ones are even better. 9 is going to cover most common bullets tho, especially if using factory ammo. The heavy coppers and very heavy lr bullets is where the faster twist comes into play.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
7-08 factory rifle and ammo isn’t much different than 6.5 cm. Not a material difference IMO.

30-06 factory isn’t much different than your .270. Still not a big enough difference IMO.

Only the 280 ai is gonna be a rifle that will allow you to shoot a higher BC bullet for long range and have a factory twist and factory ammo to shoot the high BC bullets for the size of the case you want. I like it better than the 30-06 because factory ammo won’t be much above the 168 grains you can get with the 280.

Buddy and his son killed 2 elk last year at 480 and 600 yards with his Savage carbon fiber ultralight in 280 ai. It’s threaded and ready for suppressor.

GreenOne

FNG
It’s tough to go wrong with a 280ai. It’s got the panache and functionality everybody wants, in a factory available rifle. There is also the added benefit of factory Ammo being sold that fits your needs perfectly. Get the AI and find some factory 160 accubonds or 150 TTSX and go forth with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Browning makes fast twists in their new rifles, and they have options for every caliber you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Elk don't require a heavy bullet choice either. They require a capable bullet, not necessarily heavy. 6.5 Creeds and PRCs don't shoot what anyone would consider a heavy bullet and they kill elk with them regardless. 7mm or 30cal will offer you a much broader range of bullet weights to choose from.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider
My Fierce Fury in 7mm-08 (20" Barrel) has a 1-8 twist rate.....but as other's have stated there is very little difference between the 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor.
With the rifles you have you should be set for the game you mentioned.
If you just want something different or are getting into long range hunting then I'd go with the 280ai.