A Hunter's Why

dlee56

WKR
Even though right now is the peak of communication and idea share in the hunting world I feel like there is a large gap in an honest "why" people hunt in today's world. With now also being the peak of ignorance, attack, and misunderstanding in the non-hunting world I think that an honest and transparent "why" is going to be crucial in how we communicate and portray ourselves to others.

There's the standard and valid reasons like population control, meat consumption, saving tax payer money being spent on govt contractors etc but few want to stand up and say that they hunt because they like to. I can't speak for the rest of you but I'm not thinking about population and disease control and when I'm standing there with an arrow nocked listening to a bull break branches stomping around 20 yds away from me. I also know that for many of you hunting is cheaper than store bought meat but if cost was the real issue then the hunting gear industry would be obsolete. There is something more to the equation that there isn't enough attention on.

When you answer "why" with scientific and biologic justifications that don't capture the whole picture then it automatically puts yourself in a defensive position, as if our emotional, mental, and primal draw to hunting isn't legitimate enough for us to do what we do. If we are going to claim our place in today's conversation we need a more human, deeper, and honest transparent answer as to why we hunt. What is your why?

I dont think there is a single reason i hunt. Hard to boil it down.

Combination of the challenges, excitement, feeling of accomplishment, or just plain something to do...

The benefits of living a hunting life might be pretty solid though...less stress, friendships are stronger, patience, physical health, mental health, spiritual health...so maybe deep down i do it for the medicinal purposes?

I love the natural world in a powerful way. Our species has come to view itself as above and or apart from The natural world, which is IMO a very sad thing. Hunting and fishing is one way of connecting and being deeply intimate with it. Also we are a Hunter gatherer species that has only just come to farming and cities in the last few thousand years. It’s in our blood and genes as powerfully as it is in the blood of domestic dogs.

I would add that for many people, wild animals are a distant abstract concept. When you have finished gutting out a bull elk and you smell like blood, elk piss , and sweat… your experience of the meaning of the food chain and being part of it all is no longer abstract. It becomes deeply internalized.

elkyinzer

WKR
It's just who I am and who I identify as. Nature or nurture, who the hell knows, but I can't separate it from me. That works pretty well for many other social causes, no reason we cannot use it too, it's true.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I didn't hunt. I'd have a lot more money and time.

I just have to do it. Can't really explain it

CorbLand

WKR
I wish I didn't hunt. I'd have a lot more money and time.
No you wouldn't. You would find another hobby and there is no such thing as a cheap hobby.

The problem with the question of "why you hunt" is that its an attempt to make the world black and white. "I hunt because of X reason" but in the end there are so many reasons that you cant single it down. Its all grey. I hunt because of all the reasons posted in the OP plus about 10 more.

Drenalin

WKR
I'm not always outside, but when I am, I like to be hunting. And since I can, I do.

Squincher

WKR
I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone. You aren't going to come up with a reason to change the minds of those against us and those who don't care won't care anyway.

Btaylor

WKR
DNA, parental and societal influence, emotional draw to stewardship, self-sufficiency and many more reasons. All of the why's have relevance and in a conversation can be expressed. In a confrontation, save your breath.

Innate behavior/instinct, because I can, because I want to be more self reliant.

One cow elk rifle tag every year is all I want, and maybe an antelope to mix it up a little. Don't need to go on as many hunts in a year as I can to post instagram pics. No need to chase "bucket list" hunts.

The after effect is scientific in herd health, management, blah, blah, blah - not important as to why I do it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The grunt of a white tail deer, the bugle of an Elk, the roar of a bear, the gobble of a tom turkey, the wing beat and cackle of a flushing pheasant, the honk of a flight of honkers. I simply love the outdoors.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
From all the readings and posts that I've seen, I've come to a conclusion that a lot of people hunt for antlers first and the meat second.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
From all the readings and posts that I've seen, I've come to a conclusion that a lot of people hunt for antlers first and the meat second.
Those days are long behind me, not that I was ever much of a trophy hunter. Strictly a meat hunter. I do enjoy a long bearded Tom. But then I only do spring Turkey. Jakes are too easy, stupid and Horney.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
There shouldn't be shame in enjoying any part of an animal. The meat is sacred but antlers/horns/size/weight is what makes each animal unique.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
There shouldn't be shame in enjoying any part of an animal. The meat is sacred but antlers/horns/size/weight is what makes each animal unique.
Agreed but, besides having those days behind me, the wife said the room of death has enough mounts.