A few dumb questions about merino

Boblee

FNG
Going on an early season hunt this year , Temps likely to be in 80's maybe higher, could be much colder but I have the cold side covered .
I'm not sure how to dress myself to keep as cool as possible , I read and hear about merino as a temp regulator for both hot and cold . I have some merino base layers already but they aren't durable enough to wear as an outer layer , at least I don't think they are , I'm having a hard time believing that i will actually be cooler running a lightweight merino under my ascent pants/shirt than I would be if I just ran the ascents alone . Am I right thinking that 2 layers is warmer than 1 ?or am I missing something regarding how to utilize merino I the heat ( if it's not durable enough for the only layer then I need an outer layer and isn't that gonna make me hotter? )

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
Secondly does stacking say a 150 weight and a second 150 weight function as a 300 weight single piece ? Is buying a second or third light weight layer going to make my system more versatile and work as well as a single heavy weight layer or ?

jfs82

WKR
My seasons regularly start in triple digit temps, zero chance I'm running a second layer, and for me, 150 merino is way too hot for days like that. 80's maybe, personal heat tolerance there. For hot hunts I'm using kuiu Gila hooded, sitka core lightweight, kryptek valhalla.

BBob

WKR
If it's hot I wouldn't think of wearing a base layer, high temps and two layers is going to be hot. In the old days when zip off bottoms weren't available I'd occasionally get stuck with them on and it was way too hot. With zip offs you can dump them quick and I'm a much happier camper with that option. I wear merino tops when it's hot and I prefer it over poly. Poly after multiple days makes my skin itch. I can wear the same merino for a week and feel fine. Some people are the opposite and itch with merino. Wearing merino tops out here in the desert I don't tear them up much at all (mby I'm more careful than others). I do have minor (small) holes at the ends of the sleeves and mby some pulls here and there on the sleeves. I don't worry much about it but they are more fragile. Poly in the catclaw is going to get torn up too. Hell, in the past my old cotton used to get torn up down here in the desert. I vary layering weights on how cold it may be. Sometimes I stack two of the same weight and sometimes I stack a heavier weight over the light base. I'm sure most do the same. I can't tell you what temps you'll get stacking two of the same, will it double? I don't know, it is what it is. I tend to layer merino as a base for almost all conditions and stack a poly on top. You didn't ask but sleeping in merino can have a damp feel when you get up out of your bag, poly doesn't do that. If I have the choice I'll sleep in poly but I don't think too hard about that detail much.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
That's what I was thinking too but a friend keeps insisting to me that adding light merino will actually keep me cooler , i found some evidence online that other think that too but I can't believe that adding the merino no matter how lightweight would be cooler than just the single outer layer . Thanks .

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
If it's hot I wouldn't think of wearing a base layer, high temps and two layers is going to be hot. In the old days when zip off bottoms weren't available I'd occasionally get stuck with them on and it was way too hot. With zip offs you can dump them quick and I'm a much happier camper with that option. I wear merino tops when it's hot and I prefer it over poly. Poly after multiple days makes my skin itch. I can wear the same merino for a week and feel fine. Some people are the opposite and itch with merino. Wearing merino tops out here in the desert I don't tear them up much at all (mby I'm more careful than others). I do have minor (small) holes at the ends of the sleeves and mby some pulls here and there on the sleeves. I don't worry much about it but they are more fragile. Poly in the catclaw is going to get torn up too. Hell, in the past my old cotton used to get torn up down here in the desert. I vary layering weights on how cold it may be. Sometimes I stack two of the same weight and sometimes I stack a heavier weight over the light base. I'm sure most do the same. I can't tell you what temps you'll get stacking two of the same, will it double? I don't know, it is what it is. I tend to layer merino as a base for almost all conditions and stack a poly on top. You didn't ask but sleeping in merino can have a damp feel when you get up out of your bag, poly doesn't do that. If I have the choice I'll sleep in poly but I don't think too hard about that detail much.
Thanks for the info , my merino isn't current gen (Llano, Chama, Allegheny) maybe I need some new merino if it's durable enough as a single layer . Sitka core lightweight seems like a common suggestion so I'll order one, anyone compare the corelightweight to the ascent or the kuiu tiburon ? I already have a few of each of those . Thanks

BBob

WKR
Those people are no doubt crazy ;)

FYI: My merino tops are Kuiu. Merino does have downsides like stretching out more and not holding shape as well as poly and it's not as durable. Those for me have been minor and doesn't stop me from preferring it. I have a Sitka core lightweight hoody. It's great and seems to deserve the hype. I have the Tiburon sunshirt. The Sitka is far more form fitting and has the face shield, it's a better all around shirt. I'd buy the Sitka first over the Kuiu Tiburon. Very functional but it's fragile too. It's got pulls and tears in less than one season. When it's hot either the Tiburon or Core hoody feels hot but I think the Tiburon feels slightly less so because of it's looser fit. Down here clothing is eventually going to get torn up and is ultimately expendable.

Last edited:
OP
B

Boblee

FNG
Those people are no doubt crazy ;)

FYI: My merino tops are Kuiu. Merino does have downsides like stretching out more and not holding shape as well as poly and it's not as durable. Those for me have been minor and doesn't stop me from preferring it. I have a Sitka core lightweight hoody. It's great and seems to deserve the hype. I have the Tiburon sunshirt. The Sitka is far more form fitting and has the face shield, it's a better all around shirt. I'd buy the Sitka first over the Kuiu Tiburon. Very functional but it's fragile too. It's got pulls and tears in less than one season. When it's hot either the Tiburon or Core hoody feels hot but I think the Tiburon feels slightly less so because of it's looser fit. Down here clothing is eventually going to get torn up and is ultimately expendable.
Thanks , for your help , I think I'll order a core lightweight hoody maybe I'll like it enough sell off the Tiburons and maybe even the ascents .

BBob

WKR
One more thing: The dot air fabric in the Tiburon's (pants and shirt) are very durable for such lightweight fabric. I have 5 year old pant's and while getting beat up are still going strong and they've been thrashed all over down here in Coues country. The Sitka core hoody is nowhere near as durable.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
One more thing: The dot air fabric in the Tiburon's (pants and shirt) are very durable for such lightweight fabric. I have 5 year old pant's and while getting beat up are still going strong and they've been thrashed all over down here in Coues country. The Sitka core hoody is nowhere near as durable.
Iam a fan of dot air thebtiburons are made of but if the core is better in the heat it would be worth it to me even I I need a new one each year , in the grand scheme of what it costs for out of state travel and hunting a new core lightweight every year or two isn't that bad if the performance is there .

Iam a fan of dot air thebtiburons are made of but if the core is better in the heat it would be worth it to me even I I need a new one each year , in the grand scheme of what it costs for out of state travel and hunting a new core lightweight every year or two isn't that bad if the performance is there .
Save money and find a workout shirt in a hunting-friendly solid color.

They are just as durable, cooler, and less expensive. They also tend to handle the stink pretty well.

BBob

WKR
I'd say the Tiburon is cooler than the Core in the heat but when it's hot it's hot. I don't think I'd pick one over the other for trying to stay cool.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
One of my favorite shirts ever and did really well for odor (they never stunk no matter how many days) was a Mountain Hardware with ZeO2. So yeah, non-hunting specific can be a great option especially if you wait for closeouts.

renagde

WKR
That's what I was thinking too but a friend keeps insisting to me that adding light merino will actually keep me cooler , i found some evidence online that other think that too but I can't believe that adding the merino no matter how lightweight would be cooler than just the single outer layer . Thanks .
I think that could be true if your other layer is a pair of jeans or something. Sitka Ascent pants are designed to keep you as cool as possible. They wick the sweat off of you and cool you down. You won't want anything under them. I would suggest either the Sitka Ascent top or their Core Lightweight piece for your upper body. I believe the Ascent is designed for the warmest of weather, and should be slightly cooler than the Core but that's probably a tossup.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
Thanks for all the information guys, it's greatly appreciated.

*zap*

WKR
I work outside in Kansas and in the summer I wear long bottoms and long sleeve top baselayers (military level 1)...but light synthetic not wool. Much more comfortable for me. I do wear wool socks in the summer thou.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
I work outside in Kansas and in the summer I wear long bottoms and long sleeve top baselayers (military level 1)...but light synthetic not wool. Much more comfortable for me. I do wear wool socks in the summer thou.
Western Kansas is on the agenda this year provided we draw.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
I think that could be true if your other layer is a pair of jeans or something. Sitka Ascent pants are designed to keep you as cool as possible. They wick the sweat off of you and cool you down. You won't want anything under them. I would suggest either the Sitka Ascent top or their Core Lightweight piece for your upper body. I believe the Ascent is designed for the warmest of weather, and should be slightly cooler than the Core but that's probably a tossup.
I do have the ascent set and some kuiu Tiburon, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity to keep even cooler, I don't tolerate heat well but I hunt in it anyway .

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
Save money and find a workout shirt in a hunting-friendly solid color.

They are just as durable, cooler, and less expensive. They also tend to handle the stink pretty well.
Any suggestions ? Any specific brands /models to avoid? Haven't considered this outside of icebreaker and smart wool.

*zap*

WKR
Good luck. I think it is important to consider the value of wet baselayers when it is hot. I wear the patagonia silkweights and sometimes a cotton shirt and I sweat alot when I work and it is hot..... Water is conductive as to body heat.. so wearing wet or damp clothes against your skin when it is hot will help you cool down....we all know about getting wet when it is very cold and the dangers of hypothermia.....so, you might use that to your advantage when it is hot. Obviously if it gets cold as the sun dips you want to be able to get the damp stuff off...