A camera for the lady

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
So I was struck with an idea. My girlfriend is coming with me on a back country archery elk hunt in September of next year and she said she doesn't really feel like she has a job. Which, I'm fine with. Just having her there enjoying the slog with me will be great! But the thought occurred to me that she might like to have a camera and tripod. I'm looking at a used vortex setup for the trip to save a little coin, but I'd like to buy her a semi nice camera and I'm going to pay for her to have some photography lessons.

So here's the question, if it were you significant other, what would you buy them and why?

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
High quality, used DSLR (think 5-10 years old, $200-$500 range for just the camera). Nikon or cannon, maybe Sony if you like. And a couple lenses, no more than 3: regular zoom like 18-55 or 18-200, macro or low f stops, maybe a huge zoom lens or a cool prime lens.

The camera tech doesn't change that quick, and a DSLR will let her learn about f stops, white balance, iso, etc. Plus in that price range, you won't be as anal about keeping it nice, and if you sell it, it'll still be worth about the same that you paid

Id have to agree with Nick, high quality used in that range can get you a solid camera that will get good quality shots - I would recommend a telephoto lens at least 300mm+ - as long as you can get really for game pics and wildlife watching. wider lens 's will be great for landscapes (the standard 18 - 55 would be fine)

might be able to find a Nikon d750 under 500. old lens for film cameras can fit digital so long as the mount types match up, can definitely save some money there

OP
trailblazer75

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Save the money and invest in sleeping bags that zip together.
That made me laugh cause she legitimately asked for that last time. I don’t wanna go that route thought cause I know I’ll somehow get conned into carrying both.

I agree with @Nick992. I have Canon and Sony. I'm partial to Canon because the menus and such are easier to learn. I know I don't have the brain cells to spare on a Nikon.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to add to the list is the adapters for the camera to your spotting scope, rangefinder, etc if she wants (or you would like her) to be more a part of your hunt.