9" vs 12" boot choice

roymunson

WKR
I'm not sure which boots to get for my west boots. I have a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble for my everyday wear work boot. Love the boots. I had a pair of Mountain Extreme but they were the wrong size so I sold them.

Planning on using these as a hunting boot and they'll probably be used 2 weeks out of a year.

I have severely deteriorated ankles and so I'll take every advantage I can get in boots. My hardscrabbles do great in Ohio if I'm at work or spending a day swinging a chainsaw in the woods, but for a week long hunt, are the 12" gonna help? I know they're harder to get in and out of, but would like to hear from you guys on your experiences.

It's all personal preference and specific to your needs. If you need a taller boot then you need a taller boot, no way around it. I like 10" minimum and feel like my ankles are going to fail in shorter boots.

I certainly prefer a taller boot for hunting with a pack. I just feel I get more protection from both physical damage and rolling an ankle. I also like the deeper water/creek crossing ability. I do wear and ankle high hiker for training hikes just so as to strengthen up those muscles that dont get used as much with the taller boot.