8-25-22 ULite + .458x260 Sabotless Shoot

Well FINALLY! It cooled off enough that i felt comfortable to go out to the Rock Pit and get some shooting in! But I did take a fire extinguisher with me just in case.

The goal was to shoot this new 45 and make sure it was ready for the upcoming rifle deer season. Plus I needed to verify which primer might work best in the Bestill 2 piece breech plug.

This was the bullet I was shooting. A sabotless bullet at the time made by Lehigh Defense. I have shot this bullet a little bit last year. It was a very accurate shooter. Today I wanted to verify what I thought.

Ready.jpg

I really felt I would not have a lot of time before it warmed up so much that I would want to shoot any longer. The Basalt Pit warms up very rapidly. So planned worked out in my mind was to shoot 5 rounds. So I placed 5 birds on the rock wall came back in and set up the shooting bench and accessories! After that it was time to remove my long sleeve shirt - it was warming up quickly.

This is a composite picture of this morning activities.

8-25-Shoot.jpg

After the five shoots, I quickly packed up and headed back to the house. Now I am trying to decide whether I even want to clean the rifle because it is supposed to be a good day for a morning shoot Tuesday morning. I really would like to do some more shooting!

Last edited:

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Its been so warm I want to hunt with a flash lite haha .. I HAVENT seen a elk on the ranch this season yet all the sign is higher up in the dark cool draws . This might be my last year hunting oh I'll be up there helping the kids. probably going to sell my Knight Ultra Lite . and buy a cheaper traditions that I don't mind handing a kid to beat on .

OP
sabotloader
Its been so warm I want to hunt with a flash lite haha .. I HAVENT seen a elk on the ranch this season yet all the sign is higher up in the dark cool draws . This might be my last year hunting oh I'll be up there helping the kids. probably going to sell my Knight Ultra Lite . and buy a cheaper traditions that I don't mind handing a kid to beat on .

sorry to hear that you might be retiring from ML hunting! Not sure that I am not to far away from that also. My lower back and hips are really hurting!

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
A youth hunter harvested her first elk last night on the ranch down buy us we just stood back and watched .The weather is going to cool off some that will help her grouphas 4 more sisters wanting to fill elk tags. Hope I get to see them rerepeat last night .thank you Mike .