7SAUM or 284 Win on a TIkka?

MHWASH

WKR
I'm looking for an all around rifle, mostly bear and deer out to 500yards. I already have Tikka's in 6.5 CM and 300 WSM. I will be using one or the other as a donor depending on which cartridge I choose. I'll also be running this suppressed. Either will be sporting a 20" barrel, possibly 18".
One big consideration for me is recoil. I shoot the 300 just fine, but I do have some trouble spotting my own shoots with it. I like to hunt alone, so seeing my impacts and animal reactions are important to me.

Right now I'm leaning 284 and keeping the 300 WSM. But had you asked me 2 weeks ago I was 7 SAUM all the way.

I already have 150 SAUM brass.

Hard to pick a bad choice between those two imo. I like the idea of having a little more ass for velocity on a shorty barreled rifle but you could just shoot a little lighter bullets to do the same.

SouthPaw

WKR
Keep the 6.5cm for volume practice, especially given your recoil comment. You already have SAUM brass. Shoot a 160 class bullet for better speed in a short barrel.

That said, your 6.5cm is also plenty for deer/bear to 500 and much easier to spot impacts over a magnum.

TxLite

WKR
If you already have 150pcs saum brass, that’s what I would get. You can use that for a long time, and you can acquire more as it becomes available.

B23

WKR
I doubt there is much velocity different between the two so that's kind of a wash IMO. If you already have a mag bolt face donor action and 150 pcs of 7 SAUM brass, economically speaking, that would probably be the way to go. If I was starting with nothing I'd probably go straight 284 simply because getting Lapua brass would be much easier and finding a donor Tikka .470 bolt face action would likely be easier as well.

Performance wise the SAUM has a bit more case capacity so it'll be a little faster but it's a marginal difference between those two so for me I'll take the one I can easily get the best brass for.

It also depends on which brand the 150 SAUM brass are. If they're Remington or Norma they'll be junk before the barrel is half worn out. If it were me I'd be looking to have enough brass to wear out the barrel before I even start the build.

Jon Boy

WKR
I'm a 284 tikka fan boy. But the saum brass and donor action would be hard to pass on the saum in your situation. The 284 is a sweet heart though and blows my mind it never was popular. Mediun velocity with mid weight bullets, easy to reload for, efficient cartridge in terms of powder usage and in a recoil bracket most can actually handle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Your 6.5 CM with a good bullet (130TMK/143ELDX/147/ELDM) is the answer and the easy button. Cut the barrel to 20” and add your can.

If you MUST have a ‘new’ delivery system, the 77 TMK/223 or an 88 ELDM/22CM or 115 DTAC/6CM or the 115DTAC/6UM would be much more advantageous over a .284 anything in the recoil department and deliver terminal wound channels on all game at the distance you want.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
SAUM brass is Norma, if I go 284 I could easily recoup the cost of Lapua brass by selling the Norma brass..

I do have a 22-250AI 8 twist as well, been shooting the 80gr ELDm.

I guess I could stick with the boring CM.

WKR
That said, if both rifles are good performers, I'd hold out and buy a factory 7 PRC rifle.

SouthPaw

WKR
SAUM brass is Norma, if I go 284 I could easily recoup the cost of Lapua brass by selling the Norma brass..

I do have a 22-250AI 8 twist as well, been shooting the 80gr ELDm.

I guess I could stick with the boring CM.
Ah, more information is trickling in and the 22-250ai 8tw is also plenty capable of your requirements. The new 284 rifle has to be more of a want than a need at this point, but nothing wrong with that.

Tullis94

WKR
I say 7 Saum for 3 reasons. The first being that you already have 150 brass, which if treated right will last most of the barrel life. The second is that I really like being able to stop my shots. If you can't spot them with the 300 wsm I would build off that action. The third is that you will probably be able to get a little more out of the short barrel with the SAUM. With all that being said I have a 284 built on a Tikka and I absolutely love it!

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for an all around rifle, mostly bear and deer out to 500yards. I already have Tikka's in 6.5 CM and 300 WSM. I will be using one or the other as a donor depending on which cartridge I choose. I'll also be running this suppressed. Either will be sporting a 20" barrel, possibly 18".
One big consideration for me is recoil. I shoot the 300 just fine, but I do have some trouble spotting my own shoots with it. I like to hunt alone, so seeing my impacts and animal reactions are important to me.

Right now I'm leaning 284 and keeping the 300 WSM. But had you asked me 2 weeks ago I was 7 SAUM all the way.

I already have 150 SAUM brass.
I'd go SAUM simply because you already have brass. You can always load it down to help with recoil and seeing impacts

MrMcFly93

FNG
If you’re leaning 7mm. Wouldn’t throw out the ol 280 AI. Could shoot both 280 rem or 280 AI. Getting real similar ballistics to the saum, and around 100fps slower than a 7Rem with about as efficient a cartridge that’s been created. Works well out of a 20” tube also.